Working a full time job and dealing with the pain

How does everyone handle the pain while working? I do insurance billing in a medical office. I'm constantly on the phone with parents and insurance companies. I have to talk to parents in the office about their balances, insurance, etc. I sometimes find it hard to talk when the pain gets bad. I can tolerate the pain to an extent but it gets to a point that talking hurts to much. The new office billing manager doesn't seem to understand or care. What to do??

Lisa, I know your pain. Before getting laid off last month I too worked in a medical office in billing and confirmation. I was blessed that my supervisor was very understanding and so were the girls I worked with. They had no problems taking my calls when I had an episode. Its sad that people just don't care to find out what it is that we suffer with. Is there anyone else in your office that can talk to the manager? I pray that all works out well for you and early remission.

Thank you.

My practice administrator knows of my pain and seems concerned but she's close to retirement age and seems to be biding her time. She doesn't stand up for me, it seems. The billing office manager has been there nearly a year, right out of college. My two coworkers who are in the same room with me, they took down the cubicle walls, don't seem to understand. They are reluctant to help me even when I let them know I'm in pain.Yesterday one of the girls refused to call and order ink toner for the fax/printer even though I told her I was hurting and wasn't going to call right then. I can't afford to lose my job and I can't afford to take more pain meds due to having memory loss if the dosage gets to high. Before I had the MVD my dosage of pain meds was so high that I was having memory loss. I couldn't remember my work phone # or any important #'s to call insurance companies. I was so worried about losing my job if anyone found out. I had to write all #'s down and keep them handy.

I have a nurse and the physician assistant that know and understand my pain.

Maria Ace said:

Lisa, I know your pain. Before getting laid off last month I too worked in a medical office in billing and confirmation. I was blessed that my supervisor was very understanding and so were the girls I worked with. They had no problems taking my calls when I had an episode. Its sad that people just don't care to find out what it is that we suffer with. Is there anyone else in your office that can talk to the manager? I pray that all works out well for you and early remission.

Have you ever had prescription lidocaine face patches? My neuro gave me small dose of Ritalin to keep focused … So meds, topical patch and Ritalin kept me working until I had MVD surgery…

Print and Take this list below to your doctor, maybe a new med combo with less side effects…

http://www.livingwithtn.org/forum/topics/for-those-on-the-medicaion-merry-go-round-i-ve-compiled-a-list

Having a low stress job with not a lot of talking on the phone helps a lot. I take oxycontin, nortriptyline, and cymbalta for atypical constant pain and work as a programmer but it's something I enjoy doing so that makes it tolerable.

I’ve never had the Lidocaine patch. I’ll mention it to my neurologist at the next visit, Feb 14th. I could focus better if my coworkers didn’t talk non-stop all day :-). I’ve been on ADD meds and came off because I didn’t want to get addicted. I may need to go back on them though. Thank you for the list.

Kc Dancer Kc said:

Have you ever had prescription lidocaine face patches? My neuro gave me small dose of Ritalin to keep focused … So meds, topical patch and Ritalin kept me working until I had MVD surgery…

Print and Take this list below to your doctor, maybe a new med combo with less side effects…

http://www.livingwithtn.org/forum/topics/for-those-on-the-medicaion…

I need to find a low stress job… Some mornings my pain starts as soon as I leave for work or at least by the time I pull in the parking lot at work. I let myself get worked up thinking about what all I have to do and how the day is probably going to go. I used to enjoy my job. But 9 1/2 years of dealing with insurance companies and sometimes angry parents has about done me in with this job. I worked in a factory before though, on a production line.

Shindig said:

Having a low stress job with not a lot of talking on the phone helps a lot. I take oxycontin, nortriptyline, and cymbalta for atypical constant pain and work as a programmer but it’s something I enjoy doing so that makes it tolerable.