Why does xanax take the pain away?

Hi all,
I’ve noticed that a low dose of xanax helps a lot with the pain left over after my surgery. Thank God I have not had to take other medication since surgery, but I find it strange that taking a xanax eases the ache in my face. Can anyone explain this to me?
Thanks.

I'm a nurse and a physical therapist. I found anxiety increases pain. The tension caused by the thought that this pain is going to get out of control. If I had a patient how demistrated intisipitory thoughts that if " that if i bend my injured knee I want be able to handle the pain" . Pain can radiate with increased anxiety. Pain starts in the right side of the face. Increased tension, decrease blood curcultion. Decreased curclation muscels scream for O2. Interpeted as pain. Pain radiates to the left side of face .

What kind of surgery did you go throu?

Hi Scott,

I had the MVD surgery but no compression was found.

Thanks for your reply:)

Jamie

In addition to the anti-anxiety effect, some meds have a chemical cross action between anxiety or depression control on the one hand and pain control on the other. This seems particularly true of meds that impact the calcium and sodium channels of CNS nerve function. If I'm remembering correctly, several of the anti-anxiety agents do act on one or both of these channels.

Go in Peace and Power

Red

Very interesting…thanks Red.

was it worth it . I’m on disability but still need to work to pay the bills. How is the recovery time. Have you been lyed up for a long time. I have to do physical labor becouse I’m so messed up with pain I can’t do nursing any more.

jamie leigh said:

Hi Scott,

Jamie

Hi Richard

I remember some of this from nursing school. You made this quite understandable for the lay person. There seems to be no silver bullet for any of us. It's all trial and error. It's also medications that can't cross the blood brain barrior. As a physical therapist I've seen full grown men screem in aggany with anxiey when it came to inticipitor pain. his pain was real for him. Without anxiety medication I would have gotten no were with him.

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

In addition to the anti-anxiety effect, some meds have a chemical cross action between anxiety or depression control on the one hand and pain control on the other. This seems particularly true of meds that impact the calcium and sodium channels of CNS nerve function. If I'm remembering correctly, several of the anti-anxiety agents do act on one or both of these channels.

Go in Peace and Power

Red

jamie leigh said:

Hi Scott,

Jamie

jo said: Jamie, when did you have your surgery and may I ask where? would you mind explaining the procedure as you understood it...I know I can read how it's supposed to go, but would like your first hand experience. AND there was no compression, so what are you doing now?

jamie leigh said:

Hi Scott,

Jamie

I had my surgery three years ago. I have had one problem after another since the pain began in my face four years ago. After surgery I developed many more illnesses, still having sensations and fullness in that side of my head. The surgery was at The Cleveland Clinic. When I complained of pain they just wanted to give me more medicine, as if that were an easy fix. I finally was diagnosed with Lyme disease a yr. ago last spring after being to countless drs. I have been too sick to teach the past two years. There has been gradual improvement in the last year, but I would NEVER have that surgery again if I knew then what I know now.