Why does a MVD fail?

Please please someone tell my why a MVD fails? Does it mean something is touching the nerve again? I can’t beileve its back in my life so soon. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Hi Connie,

Here’s my take…

There currently is no cure for TN.

That being said, there are procedures like MVD that they have found to work at relieving the pain for years, months, weeks.

No one knows why it works well for some and not for others. Out of all of the procedures currently available, MVD gives the best chance for long term relief.

I’ve copy/pasted the following, can’t remember where I found it…

Below is a list of known and suspected causes:

A blood vessel presses against the root of the trigeminal nerve.

Multiple sclerosis - due to demyelinization of the nerve. Trigeminal neuralgia typically appears in the advanced stages of multiple sclerosis.

A tumor presses against the trigeminal nerve. This is a rare cause.

Physical damage to the nerve - this may be the result of injury, a dental or surgical procedure, or infection.

Family history (genes, inherited) - 4.1% of patients with unilateral trigeminal neuralgia (affects just one side of the face) and 17% of those with bilateral trigeminal neuralgia (affects both sides of the face) have close relatives with the disorder. Compared to a 1 in 15,000 risk in the general population, 4.1% and 17% indicate that inheritance is probably a factor.

POSTHERPETIC NEURALGIA

When chickenpox is contracted during childhood, the virus that causes it, herpes zoster, can remain dormant for decades in the nerve bundles near the spine. The virus will sometimes reactivate, causing the condition known as postherpetic neuralgia, or more commonly, shingles.

In cases of postherpetic neuralgia, the reactivated virus travels around the affected nerve, causing pain. The herpes virus can affect the trigeminal nerve, resulting in postherpetic neuralgia, or pain, in the facial areas supplied by the trigeminal nerve.

----------

Here’s my take and I’m 5 months post MVD…not a doctor, just my personal thoughts…

If compression were a “cause” then by having MVD the “cause” would be eliminated.

Relieving all of us with compression of pain.

But that’s not entirely the case…I think compression exacerbates the TN pain, but is not the exact cause and I believe that those of us who have an MVD and see only a reduction in pain, not a total elimination of pain or the pain returns is because…

The nerve gets damaged over time from the compression if its not taken care of sooner. So in theory those who have MVD sooner before much damage is caused have better outcomes, but I haven’t found any studies to prove this, just my own theory.

My TN on my left, ( I have bilateral TN) became refractory, resistant to meds. It was progressively getting worse as well, MVD was my personal choice for my best chance at some relief. I’ve had TN since 2002.

I knew after a few months that my pain wasn’t completely eliminated by MVD. But it was 100% better than what it was before. My hope is that by having the MVD my TN pain will respond better to the meds. Of course I wish it relieved me of TN completely so I don’t have to be on meds anymore, but that’s not the case for me.

In the MVD group I’ve posted a thread with a lot of research and studies I’ve found…perhaps you can read there for more info.

(( hugs )) Mimi

Ty guys … just trying to figure things out.