What drugs are you taking for your ear pain?

I was wondering if people with ear pain are taking the same drugs as people with TN. Also wondering if one drug seems to treat this condition better than others?

Has anyone used amitripteline (Elavil) and found that it has helped or made things worse?

My neuro increased my Gabapentin to control the ear pain. If these increases don’t work she will switch to Tegretol. From what I understand, GN is treated with the same meds as TN.

Amitriptyline made me very groggy all day even though I had taken it before bed. It did nothhing for any of mmy pain. That was the first treatment ever used in fibro as well. Everyone's body is different, but it made my fibro and nerve pain worse.

I am taking opiate pain killers for the ear pain. Others might get their anti-seizure meds raised, since it is a nerve pain, and those meds are meant to work on nerve pain. This month I started taking vitamin B complex that goes under your tongue and sinks into the blood vessels there. It has helped quite a bit! It's called sublingual vitamin B and has folic acid in it for better absorbtion. You can buy tablets that dissolve, or liquid. I like to buy from www.iherb.com and www.vitacost.com. In the search box, enter "sublingual vitamin B complex". If you like what you see at iherb.com, let me know and I'll email you a code so you can get $5 off.

Tegretol takes most of the pain away but I avoid the wind as it still is a trigger.

Collette, since there's no way to avoid the wind in my city, I use a foamy earplug on one side to protect that ear from the wind.

Is it wind hitting the ear or face, I haven't figured that out? I will try the earplug though -- silence can be an extra bonus if it does work!

Sheila W. said:

Collette, since there's no way to avoid the wind in my city, I use a foamy earplug on one side to protect that ear from the wind.

My ear gets almost hyper-sensitive to sound and wind, but only on the inside of my ear. I have the foamy ear plugs for my little girl who had tubes put in her ears… I may try that!

Collette for some people, cold wind hitting the face is a trigger. Thank heavens mone is not that sensitive. If wind hits my ear, that's a trigger, and you're right about the extra bonus of silence, because loud noises are also a trigger for me. It doesn't make the world silent, it just cuts the noise down a few decibals.

Oh Jennifer G, I just now saw your reply. You and I seem to have the same type of triggers...inside the ear. I feel so bad for those who get a TN and/or GN attack just from air/breeze touching their skin.

collette said:

Is it wind hitting the ear or face, I haven't figured that out? I will try the earplug though -- silence can be an extra bonus if it does work!

no - that one I have not tried - seems like everything else though- carbutrol (almost killed me). cymbalta, lyrica, trileptal all with no relief, Now on neurontin - going to docs again later today - will let you know if he has any words of wisdom.....

My hearing was sensitive before I took 4 anti-seizure drugs and 1 anti-depressant. Around the 3 anti-seizure drug I developed this unbearable sensitivity to all noise. Even the stupid clock tick hurts. At the time was on Gabapentin when I realized how much worse all my symptoms had gotten by full dose especially my ear. Sometimes my other ear botheres me but mostly my left were I have TN & Atypical face pain. So I am not sure what to call it hypersenstivity to noise is called hyperacusis but I also understand that there are TN nerves involving your ears. So if those are irritated then it makes sense for noise to bother ones ears.

Everything that my neurologist has given me has really been a failure or made things worse. I find that I am so disorientated, confused, memory loss, and a complete basket case on those evil drugs. I think that is why that they do not work for me. They simply stress me out and any stress makes my TN pain double. Also cryin hurst bad, and I am constantly cry'n on them, cuz they make me feel so awful. I guess I'd rather be in control and have more pain, then out of control and still in pain.

Until I figure out something else I am taking xanax+tramadol+something else when needed.

Been getting at least 3 migraines pr week. Barf'n and the whole eye sparkles/blurred vision light/noise nausea and my head I could just blow up. Thank goodness for imitrex. Imitrex is keeping out of the ER.

Wishing All Good Luck,

Tree69

Thats me. Triggers are every where. Wind on face or ear. Noise is a trigger now for the TN. Hurts the forward of ear spot, sometimes inside the ear, transfers to cheek bone sending swords and hot pokers down my upper jaw and teeth, then over to my sinus along my nose shoot more hot poker electric pain down my two front teeth. If the assault only is brief it will stop there, but if it coninues past irritated then it moves into breath pain. Like I am at zub zero weather, freezing pain all the way through sinus into throat. Sometimes it has lasted 24 hours. It already hurts to suck air through mouth at all times so when the breath pain starts I am besides myself. I do use ear plug(s), but at times the plug hurts and even my glasses over my ear hurt, but it hurts less then the noise.

Coping, Tree69

Sheila W. said:

Collette for some people, cold wind hitting the face is a trigger. Thank heavens mone is not that sensitive. If wind hits my ear, that's a trigger, and you're right about the extra bonus of silence, because loud noises are also a trigger for me. It doesn't make the world silent, it just cuts the noise down a few decibals.

Oh Jennifer G, I just now saw your reply. You and I seem to have the same type of triggers...inside the ear. I feel so bad for those who get a TN and/or GN attack just from air/breeze touching their skin.

collette said:

Tree69 I'm so sorry for what you're going through. The foamy earplug sure helps me, protection from wind and noise. When my pain hits 9 or 10, then even those can irritate me, but they help me from getting pain that bad very often.