What Dosage for Eye Pain Relief?

I am just now today up to Neurontin 600 mg./day, started today from previous 500 and felt awful for about 8 hours. It did help a little with the eye pain. Just took my second 300 mg. and anticipate it will make me feel a lot better or a lot worse. Today my eyes weren't as bad but the pain concentrated on my left cheek. How much Neurontin did everyone have to take before they got eye pain relief? I know everyone is different but was curious. I Thanks all!!! (Feels like someone has beaten me to death in my left cheek - yuk)

Susan

Sue-

I can’t believe that I found somebody else, finally, that has pain that presents the same way as I do. I really hope your eye pain subsides soon!!! For me, it is by far the worst part, pain wise, of having TN (I have ATN). I too, also experience pain in my cheek- I equate it to feeling like my cheek is exploding from the inside out when it’s really bad.

In regards to Neurontin… I took Neurontin for about 1 1/2 years. The dose I got up to (I couldn’t tolerate any more- low med tolerance) was 1800 mg. It worked for most of that time to relieve almost all of my pain. Except for the occasional bad day I was able to function fairly well once I got used to the sleepiness associated with Neurontin (well, that’s what happened in my case). I kept going up in dosage until I had relief. I believe that the max dose of Neurontin is 3600 mg (don’t quote me, AM NOT A DOCTOR).

I wish you the best of luck and I completely understand the type of pain you’re experiencing. Having pain in my eye has been extremely frustrating and really awful. Keep your hopes up and know that it can get better.

All my best. Johanna

Hi - I didn’t have any bad reaction to the second 300 mg last night, so I’m hopeful about taking it again this morning. It did help a little with the eye pain - now I have just pin pricks in my eyes, not cigarette burns on the top. My cheek really hurts but am hopefullit doesn’t go into the REALLY BAD pain I had once (electrical paddle). If you read through my posts you can see all the eye symptoms I had - is this also what you had? Nobody understands the pain unless you’ve been through it - we can commiserate with each other !!! And people look at you like “you don’t look sick”. If they could have for one hour the pain we live with for months, maybe then they would understand not wanting to go out into the light (don’t go towards the light! HA!)

I’m wearing sunglasses as I type this. I am very hopefull about increasing the Neurontin. It sure makes my brain not function properly as I can’t focus or remember things. As long as the pain goes away, I’ll be OK with being brain dead. I’m retired, so who cares?

Hang in there my friend - Susan

Johanna Smith said:

Sue-

I can’t believe that I found somebody else, finally, that has pain that presents the same way as I do. I really hope your eye pain subsides soon!!! For me, it is by far the worst part, pain wise, of having TN (I have ATN). I too, also experience pain in my cheek- I equate it to feeling like my cheek is exploding from the inside out when it’s really bad.

In regards to Neurontin… I took Neurontin for about 1 1/2 years. The dose I got up to (I couldn’t tolerate any more- low med tolerance) was 1800 mg. It worked for most of that time to relieve almost all of my pain. Except for the occasional bad day I was able to function fairly well once I got used to the sleepiness associated with Neurontin (well, that’s what happened in my case). I kept going up in dosage until I had relief. I believe that the max dose of Neurontin is 3600 mg (don’t quote me, AM NOT A DOCTOR).

I wish you the best of luck and I completely understand the type of pain you’re experiencing. Having pain in my eye has been extremely frustrating and really awful. Keep your hopes up and know that it can get better.

All my best. Johanna

I feel your pain on this… Neurontin didn’t help the eye pain at all for me. I wish I had a magic drug for this one but don’t. Lamictal reduced the amount of pain and intensity. If you find one that works better let me know :frowning:

Sue & Mike-

I have tried a lot of things for the eye pain as it is, by far, the worst place to have pain. I have found that sometimes a warm washcloth over my eye helps. It is also very relaxing to me and sometimes I imagine myself at a spa (lol). I am also like you Sue, I generally need to go to a room that is completely dark- no light or sound at all. This also helps when trying to breathe through the pain as there are no distractions. Given that I haven’t been able to work for a while now, I don’t care if I fall asleep as this often breaks the pain cycle for me.

I do take narcotic pain killers (oxycodone) and they sometimes help, sometimes not. I have taken them on a regular basis so they don’t work nearly as well as they used to when I used them on an as needed basis for extreme pain. I am just now decreasing my dosage slowly as I go onto Lamictal as my pain has improved a little.

If you have trigger point pain and things touching your face increase your pain, probably not gonna work for you. In my case, I don’t often have that type of pain. Hope some of this helps. Johanna

Hi - I haven’t tried the oxycodine for eye pain, I freak out about too many pills - and it gives me horrendous headaches!! I’ll try the warm washcloth, I have been using a cold one. I’ve cut back to 500 mg/day today due to the ulcer pain and I’ll see if that helps. I don’t know if its the increased dosage, or just taking it for two months, that is causing the problem. Is Lamicital for the eye pain, or is it to help with the TN? I’m going to see if Neurontin is available in a patch form, as that would bypass my ulcers. Thanks for your help!

“CURSE YOUR EYE” (sorry, too late) (courtesy Young Frankenstein)

Johanna Smith said:

Sue & Mike-

I have tried a lot of things for the eye pain as it is, by far, the worst place to have pain. I have found that sometimes a warm washcloth over my eye helps. It is also very relaxing to me and sometimes I imagine myself at a spa (lol). I am also like you Sue, I generally need to go to a room that is completely dark- no light or sound at all. This also helps when trying to breathe through the pain as there are no distractions. Given that I haven’t been able to work for a while now, I don’t care if I fall asleep as this often breaks the pain cycle for me.

I do take narcotic pain killers (oxycodone) and they sometimes help, sometimes not. I have taken them on a regular basis so they don’t work nearly as well as they used to when I used them on an as needed basis for extreme pain. I am just now decreasing my dosage slowly as I go onto Lamictal as my pain has improved a little.

If you have trigger point pain and things touching your face increase your pain, probably not gonna work for you. In my case, I don’t often have that type of pain. Hope some of this helps. Johanna

Sue-

I take Lamictal for TN. It is an anti-convulsant, like Neurontin. Same with Trileptal, which I also take. Lamictal can be used alone for TN and as co-therapy with some of the other drugs used to treat TN. So far, so good with Lamictal. Not many tired and sleepy side effects but there are some potentially harmful ones when beginning Lamictal (ie. rash that can develop into a serious syndrome and some others). I am not at a high enough dose to be experiencing benefit from Lamictal but have talked with others on this forum who are and they have had really good results so far. Everyone is different though.

I am so sorry to hear of your stomach problems. I am sure that does not help you much and makes taking all of these meds so much more difficult. In my experience with narcotic pain killers, I either throw-up (Vicodin- which I won’t take) or experience constipation (very annoying and not fun). It’s a double edge sword with any meds for TN. Narcotics are not neccessarily effective in treating TN pain but I do have enough relief when I have bad days to make it worth my while. I hoping to get off of them soon! Good luck with the Neurontin patches. I hope they help with your pain and do not increase your stomach pain. Take care. Johanna

Sue Richey said:

Hi - I haven’t tried the oxycodine for eye pain, I freak out about too many pills - and it gives me horrendous headaches!! I’ll try the warm washcloth, I have been using a cold one. I’ve cut back to 500 mg/day today due to the ulcer pain and I’ll see if that helps. I don’t know if its the increased dosage, or just taking it for two months, that is causing the problem. Is Lamicital for the eye pain, or is it to help with the TN? I’m going to see if Neurontin is available in a patch form, as that would bypass my ulcers. Thanks for your help!

“CURSE YOUR EYE” (sorry, too late) (courtesy Young Frankenstein)

Johanna Smith said:
Sue & Mike-