Vitamin B-6

I see from time to time discussion of B-12, and it is an essential part of myelin repair, but vitamin B-6 as 5P5 is a co-factor in dozen - perhaps hundreds - of important metabolic processes, including the production of several neurotransmitter s (e.g., serotonin). Take 50mg of 5P5 on an empty stomach in the morning. B1, B6, B12 have all been shown to have analgesic effect and improvement in pain.

I got this info from good medical sources. Every little bit of pain therapy helps!

Yeah, I take a combo with high doses of b1, b5, b6, b12 and it doesn't help me.

Hi Donna
Me too, but I wonder if it would be worse if I didn’t take it…
B

My family gave me Pyritinol. its like b-6. I didn't feel anything but they were all about it because I had a head injury. Obviously a doctor recommended it. Anyways it might help with memory which mine has deteriorated into 4 second intervals and takes me weeks to accomplish 1 simple task. Maybe takes a sliver of anxiety away. Maybe IMO.

Perhaps some days that sliver makes the difference …
So sorry your memory is so brief. Are you taking about short term, working memory, or have you lost long term memory as well?

All 3 definitely. My executive function is my worst. but long term is gone, makes my imagination run wild. But I've become more adjusted to it over the years. If I could only remember to buy a to do list pamphlet or even open evernote on my iPod. Haha. How's your memory if you don't mind me asking?

Haha indeed. Remembering to do things is one of my biggest bug-a-boos. I’m always making notes in my iPhone, iPad, pain journal, writing journal, yellow post- it’s. A lot of my reminders takes me by surprise when I see them but then the light bulb goes off…usually. I’m always saying to myself, “what do I do next”. My planning and decision making executive functions are all shot to hell.

Also sometimes simple things. I tried to do something at a banking machine a few weeks ago and I couldn’t figure out what to do. i was very conscious of a long line- up behind me and started to feel panic rise up almost from my toes. I have some experience with MBSR though and calmed myself down enough to remember what to do, and finish my task. But I walked away feeling somewhat humiliated for a few minutes. So I had to deal with that emotion and I did okay with it and now it’s just another funny story in my repretoire.

I can’t spell worth a damn now and rely on the autocorrect. I get partway through a word and it just disappears from memory and even the autocorrect can’t figure out what I want to write so I have to get a dictionary out and find my word manually. Sometimes I wonder if the word I’m thinking of even exists!

My long term memory is good though and things I know how to do by routine are fine - if I can remember to do them- like wash the cat’s dishes piled up at the back door. I’m always saying, “shit” all day long, shitshitshit. I forgot to do this, I forgot to do that.

I’m a visual artist and can still draw slowly, mostly in graphite, color is “too loud” for me most days, and using colour also requires way more decision making so it’s harder. My output is minimal but I try a bit most days. So even when what I produce is not so hot I take a stab at it. I’m afraid that if I stop it will be game over. Drawing can be very calming for me. And I think I mentioned before, I borrowed a keyboard, to force myself to learn something new, so if all I do is play a few scales with the sound almost off, that is calming too.

I used to write as well and seriously thought it was game over for me. But posting here the past couple of months has brought some of that back to the surface, like a forgotten skill, or desire. And I think, oh yeah, I used to be able to do this. So even if what I say right now is just a pile of you-know-what, the point is to practice, practice, practice. I’m intensely interested in everyone’s story, so that has been good to help keep my brain functioning and not dwell so much on myself.

I’m so afraid of losing my good brain. That’s one of the biggest issues for me. Patience and perseverance is mostly what I have to rely on. And willingness to go down every road of what I can do to help myself. The accumulation of a whole bunch of small stuff can make a difference.

Have you ever tried any MBSR training to help with the pain? It can also help with your executive functions as well.

I looked up mbsr and it seems to be something like meditation right? I had tried that and it worked well for me, but when I started on 4 scripts it wiped my intentions and any thought for that matter clean off. Pharmaceutical daze. Anyways I toned down my meds enough to start feeling like myself and still be able to manage the pain OK. I'm going to look more into it. And have you posted your drawings? I'd like to see those. I know what you mean about colors. Maybe we get some synestesia going with extra power in our nerve. The warmer colors seem louder to me, but the cooler one seem quieter but sharper, whatever that means! I'm going to need to get back into music

Bellalarke - what is the cause of your cognitive deficits ( trying to stay clinical here) -- You seem very on your toes here and maintain a great wit !!

Yes, Thermo, MBSR does involve some mindful forms of meditation. I totally hear you about the meds knocking out “intention”. I have had that battle myself this winter. I took 3,600 gabapentin, and added Trileptal and introduced 10mg nortriptyline. That did help with pain as long as I stayed really quiet. I mind felt carbonated and useless and my body slowed to a near stop. Intentions were something at the bottom of a well. But I have a long established drawing practice and so could some days get to it and if I wasn’t disturbed could even get on a bit of a roll…but that concentration always cost me and in the days ahead I would suffer from a kind of brain exhaustion and torpor. I have had to ditch the trileptal and cut back gabapentin because of vision problems and big drop in sodium. To tell you the truth, I am glad about that. I can think somewhat better now. And I complied with both my neuro and pain clinic doctor. The pain is actually increasing and I do, unlike you, have an NS looming in my future.

Ad yes, I think you are on to something with the synestesia happening when the brain changes because of chronic pain. I "see"noxious sound. “Hear” excessive colour. One of my daughters has true synestesia, she sees all numbers and letters in colour. It’s amazing!

If you do go back to the keyboard, may I suggest you try a different genre than you were used to playing.

thermotronica said:

I looked up mbsr and it seems to be something like meditation right? I had tried that and it worked well for me, but when I started on 4 scripts it wiped my intentions and any thought for that matter clean off. Pharmaceutical daze. Anyways I toned down my meds enough to start feeling like myself and still be able to manage the pain OK. I’m going to look more into it. And have you posted your drawings? I’d like to see those. I know what you mean about colors. Maybe we get some synestesia going with extra power in our nerve. The warmer colors seem louder to me, but the cooler one seem quieter but sharper, whatever that means! I’m going to need to get back into music

Hey big thanks, KC. I sweat these posts like you wouldn’t believe. Everybody is in so much pain and some people are in extreme crisis and some people just need company to paddle with along this river of pain for a few hours, days, whatever.

A week before I had my first attack, I debuted a big fat novel (464 pages) with a very complicated narrative structure, at a major international literary festival. That was 31/2 years ago. It took so long to get a proper diagnosis, I was given too many wrong meds, there were a couple of significant deaths in in family, my ex husband took me to court, yadayadayada. And then started taking the big meds that do help but knock out my cognitive processing. I went down like a bag of hammers! I’m getting some of my mojo back now though and am coming back fighting.

I see my neuro on May 6. I am now going to beg her to do a better job of getting me into the NS pronto. Also I am going to write to him myself (Mimi has helped encourage me to do this). I am going to pull out all the stops. Any suggestions appreciated.>

Kc Dancer Kc said:

Bellalarke - what is the cause of your cognitive deficits ( trying to stay clinical here) – You seem very on your toes here and maintain a great wit !!