TN / Meniere's Disease / Head injury Link?

My Chiropractor sister sent me this article today. I'm only sending the text that relates to TN; the article goes on, but it's all Chiropractic treatment jargon. However, if anyone is interested, I can provide the link to the entire piece.

As a side note...I have terrible compound tinnitus. Does anyone here have tinnitus? I'm wondering if there might be a link between it and TN. I've had some pretty hard blows to the head, so I suppose anything is possible in my case. Rick

Trying to Achieve Balance?

Meniere’s Disease Breakthrough

The Science Says:

Ten years of Meniere’s disease research by Dr. Michael T. Burcon results in elimination of vertigo in 291 out of 300 patients.

“Cervical Specific Protocol and Results for 300 Meniere’s Patients”

Grand Rapids, MI (PRWEB) November 1, 2010: Dr. Burcon has established a link between both Meniere’s disease and Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) with whiplash injuries that subluxate the base of the skull with the top of the neck creating a lesion affecting the Eustachian tube and/or the Trigeminal ganglion. About half of these traumas are caused by car accidents and the other half from injuries involving head trauma. Burcon believes that the correlation is not made or understood immediately for most patients because it takes an average of fifteen years from the time the patient was injured until the onset of symptoms.
Patients typically get diagnosed with MD or TN in middle age. Their injuries most often happened during high school or college years from a car accident, sports injury or fall on their heads. Few patients list these old injuries on their doctor’s admission paper work. In fact, they have often forgotten about them, believing they were not hurt if they were not admitted to the hospital...

Hi Rick, I don't know what compound tinnitus is but my ears ring non-stop and sometimes very loudly. This has been happening for many months before my diagnosis but is definently alot worse since my TN. Is there a possibility that cervical stenosis can cause TN?? I would like to know if you can expand on this at all. I will look up Meniere's disease. Thanks

Interesting. I did mention to my neuro both bad car accidents and some blunt force trauma that happened to me in my early 20's. The doctor was interested in these injuries which surprised me. I have an MRI, so we shall see what it shows.

Hi Kimburlee & Lisa,

Here's the link to the original article:

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=1e0bfdc1a5804ba28180a41f1&id=25076dc00a&e=2570c92fc2

Kimb.: I have the constant loud, roaring typical tinnitus and a syndrome known as Pulsatile Tinnitus which provides a drumbeat inside one's head:

(It is related to disturbances in the blood flow. About 3% of tinnitus patients experience this type of tinnitus.)

Pulsatile tinnitus usually originates within the blood vessels inside the head or neck region when disturbed blood flow occurs. This results from either increased blood flow or a narrowing of the opening of the blood vessel, both of which result in turbulent blood flow that can be heard in the ears. In this regard, it is totally different from and independent of continuous tinnitus which results from damage to the cochlea and/or hearing nerve.

It is very possible to have both pulsatile and continuous tinnitus together. People who have both of these generally say the pulsatile component is the more bothersome. (...a pleasant way of implying that between TN and PT, one could be driven totally out of their minds. Be of stout heart with this, my Sisters and Brothers... ;-) Rick

I have often wondered if my TN was caused by a bad car accident I was in 25 years ago. I know I had bad whiplash and a chiropractor told me my neck is not shaped right to hold up my head properly - it's too straight so my muscles have to do more of the work. Maybe that is the cause......

There is definitely a link between whiplash injury and first presentation of TN in a good many patients. By no means all or even a majority. Many cases of TN first present with no history at all of injury or whiplash at any time in the patient's life.

Likewise, the notion of "subluxation" is an outright mythology not confirmed by any mainstream medical trials and almost universally rejected by internists and mainstream medical doctors. Regardless of this labeling problem, however, it has been reported in several National conferences of the US TN Association, that chiropractic adjustment is helpful for some TN patients some of the time. But I know of no body of medical literature which establishes consistency on the order of that claimed above.

Note: the journal in which this claim appears is NOT indexed by the National Medical Library at the US National Institutes of Health -- which should give us reasonable reservations on its credibility. Dr. Burcon likewise has no record of publications that are indexed in other journals covered by NLM.

Regards and best

Red

what does one do. my injury is similar. wishing you well.

Rick, this is interesting. I have had a discomfort in my neck that started just before TN diag. I told my neuro and he said it has nothing to do with it. The week after I went to my GP and told him. He ordered x-rays and it showed some curvature and c-5, c6- c7 abnormality?? Anyway, my GP decided to order mri on my neck last week and now I am waiting for Neurosurgeon to call me back. hmmm

Hi Kimburlee, Yeah, when a doc tells me "...A has nothing to do with B...", my antenna goes up--Seems to me that with TN, sweeping statements like that aren't helpful and maybe a bit arrogant. ;-) Rick

kimburlee said:

Rick, this is interesting. I have had a discomfort in my neck that started just before TN diag. I told my neuro and he said it has nothing to do with it. The week after I went to my GP and told him. He ordered x-rays and it showed some curvature and c-5, c6- c7 abnormality?? Anyway, my GP decided to order mri on my neck last week and now I am waiting for Neurosurgeon to call me back. hmmm

my neck was fine until my facelifi but my readxnerve pain is coming fom the neck. it is so distinct. If the area is too tight or curved, I have moderate scoliosis it causes nerve pain. i actually feel my jaw pushed foward. Im wearing heat wraps and it does help tight muscles.

Rick Bruce said:

Hi Kimburlee, Yeah, when a doc tells me "...A has nothing to do with B...", my antenna goes up--Seems to me that with TN, sweeping statements like that aren't helpful and maybe a bit arrogant. ;-) Rick

kimburlee said:

can anything be done to cororrect this. i have it too.

Hello, elaine48, I'm really not sure where to begin to answer your question. I think that all of us with TN need to find out all we can through on-line searches based on our own unique personal symptoms and then post our findings here at the TN forum. Please "Stay Strong".

Stay Blessed, Rick

elaine48 said:

can anything be done to cororrect this. i have it too.

Interesting, A CT scan taken 3 years ago indicate that I have bulged C4, c5, c6 discs in my spine. I agree with your statements above and below. I have seen a chiropractor (no cracking) which has helped the movement in my neck but has not helped with the TN. I think finding the source/cause of the problem is the key.

Collette

Rick Bruce said:

kimburlee said: