Skipping dose of Tegretol so I can speak coherently?

Maybe a crazy question but I have a speaking engagement in a week when I need to be able to speak coherently and think on my feet while I do so. What happens if you skip a dose of Tegretol… Is there a way to do this without having pain come crashing in? I only had one experience with having one dose 2 hours late and had a bad pre-curser to a sharp attack headache. Any ideas on this? I take 300 mg of Tegretol 3x day with jerking and shaky hands and brain fog for a good 3 hours after taking each dose. Thanks for any suggestions.

ask your pharmacist or doctor

I tirated down = way down to be coherent to research my MVD surgery.

It was the cousin trileptal - so I tirated down AND used lidocaine cream or patch topical

with help of doctor

Thanks, Kc Dancer, I asked my PCP and he didn’t really have an answer, suggesting that I postpone taking one of the doses by an hour but that won’t help. He admitted he didn’t know much about TN and my Neuro. is away for the week.

TL, are you on any pain medications in addition to the Tegretol? I take Lyrica, and while it makes me tired, I do not have as pronounced a reaction to the medications as you do. However, I also take Tramadol for pain, mostly just at night (it handles my autoimmune pain AND any breakthrough head pain), but sometimes in the daytime, too. That might help fill in the gap...assuming Tramadol doesn't affect you badly. I seem to deal well with it.

Thanks, Booklass, that might work. I do take pain meds for breakthrough pain, they make me tired but none of those other nasty shaky/brain fog stuff. I might be able to counteract it with lots of coffee. I just know that when I’m even late by an hour I pay with pain.

Skipping just one dose won't do it --- but you can't just go off it for a week because you might have a seizure

Another thing I did was have the doctor order me a few ritalin. I could focus and stay awake.

he said it was very common for his epileptic patitents to take it because they needed to function AND not have seizures!

Good Luck!

cant you take them a few hours earlier in the day before your meeting? if im doing that i start the night before so if theres an overlap an im going to be affected its while in asleep?

Hi KC Dancer, I asked my PCP for help in this and he just shrugged his shoulders and said I might just postpone a dose. I told him if I missed a dose by an hour before the pain came back intensely. He doesn’t seem to get it/ have any ideas.

Thanks, SuzyQ, the only issue is that at this point I really pay if I mess with my times even by an hour. I might try doing it over this next week by a few minutes a day.

TL, Like Suzy suggested, at what point in your medication regimen do you shake less, etc... Towards the end of a dose, does the shaking lessen? Do you need a complete gap between doses to get that effect? The answers to those questions might help you decide what to do. If towards the end of a dose, when it is starting to wear off, you have fewer symptoms, then take your dose a set number of hours before your speaking engagement. Add your pain medication for good measure. I read somewhere that we (people with chronic pain) should keep diaries of our pain. I'm not sure I want to focus on it like that. However, for a day or two, it might help you decide what you want to do.

I think there are some great ideas here but perhaps you should also be honest with your audience. Tell them you are on this medication and why and if you aren't coherent you can ask them. Make them part of the experience instead of just speaking to them. It seems people LIKE being in the know and like being part of the discussion. It might make an interesting speaking engagement.

Also you might be able just to lower your dosage for the engagement instead of skipping it all together.

it will affect you more if you skip a dose ,taking extra just before bed shouldnt do anything except make you sleep better , as tkal said sometimes its easier just to say to your audience at the beginning, you can joke and say if i slur my words its not because im drunk im on medication..good luck :)

TL said:

Hi KC Dancer, I asked my PCP for help in this and he just shrugged his shoulders and said I might just postpone a dose. I told him if I missed a dose by an hour before the pain came back intensely. He doesn't seem to get it/ have any ideas.

Thanks, SuzyQ, the only issue is that at this point I really pay if I mess with my times even by an hour. I might try doing it over this next week by a few minutes a day.

easy - is to try the lidocaine cream -- cheap and easy RX called in for you

You would think as much as I talk about it - I have shares in Lidocaine stock!