Quantcast

Living With Facial Pain

Severe ear pain

Hi! I’m new and I’m hoping someone has something similar as no one can seem to figure it out. I get sudden severe pain inside and behind my left ear only. It’s like the cartilage actually hurts or something! It comes on quickly and lasts sometime a few minutes, sometime and hour or more! It is debilitatingly painful! Help! Any ideas???

Hi Kelleen,
If your earpain is anything like mine, then you will need to get an MRI to pinpoint where the nerve is being compressed.
I was diagnosed with atypical TN and GPN on the 9th and 10th cranial nerves … ie: the Glossopharyngeal nerve and the Vagus nerve with a slight compression affecting the Nervus Intermedius … in the top of the brainstem.
I’ve had two MVD surgeries (second puts you at very high risk, and they will not go into the same area a third time) with access point just behind my right ear below the mastoid sinus.
I experience acute ear pain (like a burning hot knitting needle going into my ear canal … is how I describe it) and it has n.e.v.e.r. gone away, not even briefly after each surgery. I’ve been experiencing the pain since 2005, it started off being once every few months, then every few weeks and over 7 years it was more and more frequent until I was struggling to cope with the pain … anything between 6 and 10 was most debilitating.
So, I’m now on strong drugs (even post surgery) and take a morphine derivative twice daily … this keeps my pain levels in the 3 to 6 region, if it breaks through above that, then I take two pain relieving anti-inflammatories until the pain subsides to a level I can cope with.
I’m not saying that this is necessarily the case for you, but, please get it checked out as soon as you can.
GPN and TN are both debilitating and in some cases, incurable, but there is really effective treatment available… you just need the right medical professional to help you through it … it may well be the rest of your life short of a miracle.
Take care, and be encouraged that you’re not alone, and fight back, never allow the pain to consume you, always try to keep it under control.
Regards
Lorraine
(Durban, South Africa)