Remission, decreasing medications

I have had weeks of no pain. It has been glorious.

My neurologist told me to start tritating down the medications to see what happens. I decreased the gabapentin and trileptal slowly.

I am so SCARED. I can't even begin to describe how scared I am that the pain will come back. This weekend I think I have been having some kind of weird phantom pain. It's not like I have had before and goes away. And then I have a panic attack. I can't decide whether this is my body telling me that I can't decrease my medications anymore, or if I am so stressed out about what could happen that psychologically I am a mess......

Wondering if anyone has had personal experience in this????

I've heard before of your combination of anxiety and desire to go off meds. A feeling of shortness of breath is more frequent in anxiety attacks than most other symptoms, and I don't think I've ever heard of a comes-and-goes phantom pain reaction as an anxiety symptom.

I don't think there are any magical solutions, Lisa. One thing you might consider is having a prescription of an anti-anxiety agent like Xanax for a while. A supportive therapy relationship can be useful if approached on your own initiative and with the clear understanding that your anxiety is not a "cause" of face pain.

In general, though, it's likely that if an end to your remission going to happen, your body will tell you that you can't go off meds by reacting with breakthrough pain -- rather than anxiety as such.

Regards and best,

Red

Lisa

I am new to this site and you sent me a welcome. Please friend me as I would like to get to know you. I too am scared and have panic attacks… I’m new to this and am going crazy.

Lisa, Be strong :)

I remember I used to have the same exact feelings when I was told to try & go off my meds.

Thinking of you!

Well they are not phantom pains at all.... Definitely the nerve letting me know it's still there. I am pretty sure I have found my maintenance level of meds. I just have to make it through the next few days of tritating up to the next level.

At least I was able to decrease my medication a bit.

Red, they were definitely panic attacks. Pain in the chest, couldn't breathe, impending doom kind of stuff. I have suffered from them in the past.

I guess I was more worried of the expecting the worst happening and mind playing tricks kind of thing. And the whole time you are thinking to yourself, "it can't be as bad as I think it was." But knowing logically that it was. That is my major problem I think. The emotion warring with the logical.

Praying for you, Lisa!

Lisa (iamrite) said:

Well they are not phantom pains at all… Definitely the nerve letting me know it’s still there. I am pretty sure I have found my maintenance level of meds. I just have to make it through the next few days of tritating up to the next level.

At least I was able to decrease my medication a bit.

Red, they were definitely panic attacks. Pain in the chest, couldn’t breathe, impending doom kind of stuff. I have suffered from them in the past.

I guess I was more worried of the expecting the worst happening and mind playing tricks kind of thing. And the whole time you are thinking to yourself, “it can’t be as bad as I think it was.” But knowing logically that it was. That is my major problem I think. The emotion warring with the logical.

Yeah... I hear you Lisa. And you do seem to have some of the classic symptoms of anxiety attacks. That's a separable problem, and titrating up to a maintenance level of effective meds will like as not help you gain control of the reaction pattern. Still, RCT is a useful tool set for a lot of people.

Regards and best,

Red

Lisa, Thinking of you.

What you described "Pain in the chest, couldn't breathe, impending doom kind of stuff." sounded like me last night.

I actually called my family doctor today for something to take the edge off my nerves. No pun inteded....

I have anti anxiety meds. I actually found during the largest pain episodes they really help. When the pain is terrible, my stress levels shoot through the roof. If I can calm myself down, the pain becomes manageable.

I am seeing someone who treats chronic pain patients right now for some relaxation techniques. I still do not have the whole mindful relaxation tools down. When panic sets in, everything else goes out of the mind.

What treatments did your doctor suggest that you seen results from?