Problems eating

Does anyone have severe problems with eating or had a NG tube? My daughter had MVD surgery in April, 2012 and seemed to be doing better. In the last couple of weeks she has started to have alot of problems eating and drinking and we had to take a trip to the ER for fluids. She did get hit in the face with a football (her brother accidentally hit her) and also she had a bad cold with alot of coughing. I also had a cold and a sinus infection and worried maybe she did to. The surgeon we had perform the MVD did say she had 4 or 5 blood vessels wrapped around the nerve and could take approx. 1-2 years to see if the surgery was going to be successful (he was very optimistic) I'm nervous we will be taking a step back in her recovery if we get the NG but don't want her to be dehydrated or starving. Any advise would be great.

So sorry you and your daughter are going through this. Is she on Neurontin or other meds?. I had lots of trouble eating before I started neurontin.

She is taking 600 mg lyrica and 800mg carbamazepine and they also have her on cipralex for depression.

Has anyone taken Garlise for pain ? It's a new kind of gabapentin.

Has she tried the Lanocaine patches everyone is talking about on here? It is giving a lot of people relief and perhaps it would at least let her drink protein shakes! I will keep her in my prayers and you as you watch her go through all of this!

Yvonne

My daughter is 16yrs. old and says it is too painful when she tries to eat or drink and the stabbing pains get much worse. She was hit in the face after the surgery (about a month ago) and also had a bad cold. When the pain started to get worse these last few weeks she seemed to become more depressed and stopped seeing her friends or doing any activites that she enjoyed. I took her in to the er last night and they admitted her to see if they could get her pain under control, they are also thinking of inserting the ng to help with the dehydration and nutrition.

It would seem that your daughter still has active trigger zones, so getting control of that should be a priority. If she's dehydrated and under weight, then temporary artificial hydration is also certainly a good idea. Emphasis here on "temporary". How are you using the term "NG", Hon?

What meds and in what doses has your daughter been on so far? Some of the tricyclic antidepressant drugs are helpful for both depression and pain. But not everybody tolerates them well. So there's a process of trial and error to be gone through.

My intuition from many years of talking with patients as an advocate, is that the strike she took to the face is probably going to turn out to be a temporary effect for her -- causing breakthrough pain due to active trigger zones, but not having long term impact on the trigeminal nerves themselves. Understand, however, that I'm not a physician and you need the advice of somebody who is and has training specific to management of face pain.

I look forward to hearing further from you...

Regards, Red