Quantcast

Living With Facial Pain

Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Temporal Arteritis, Trigeminal Neuralgia

Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice or personal experience with these three conditions?

I’m a 40 year old male whom has probably had temporal arteritis for a very long time (imho, since being a teenager), which has likely resulted in PR and likely led to TN. I have only recently seen a Neurologist and currently waiting for results of MRI tests but luckily I now have an active case manager to be my main advocate whom informed me about TA and PR two days ago and it is a logical diagnoses. So maybe now I will get all the relevant tests to help manage my symptoms and allow me to have some sort of normality, even if it’s just being able to go for a walk and to start working again.

Any advice would be helpful as I continue to try to find out what is actually happening within my body and to gain an actual diagnosis/es but unfortunately, it appears, my age and gender probably causes these diagnoses to be overlooked.

Thanks for reading,

Dave

Following. I have TN, and my sister was just diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica. She says I’m at risk for both TA and PR.

Hey Dave,
It’s good to hear you have a case manager, the whole process of obtaining a diagnosis, a true diagnosis, can be fraught with danger. Personally I have been given more pseudo diagnosis than I can count on my fingers (and toes), TN being one of them.
I’m in my mid 40’s and have been battling ‘odd pains’ since I was very young after being involved in a MVA. In my 20’s I underwent a few neurosurgeries and my continuing discomfort/pain has been labelled everything from idiopathic to psychological, from nerve pain to TN and damn near everything else in between.
I have been looking for some sort of firm diagnosis but short of a brain injury firstly from the MVA and then from the multiple surgeries, nobody has been able to actually give me that firm diagnosis.
Eventually I gave up on getting any straight answers from the doctors, they all seem to have their own opinions, and now simply manage the best way I can.

I hope you have better luck than I have.
Merl from the Moderator Support Team