Please, so scared

I feel like a husk, the heart, the grain inside was ripped away. Things that should delight: the laughter of my child, excited voices, friends calling to talk, my phone a-buzz with texts... bring only pain.

I am so frightened. My ears are so sensitive that using my own voice makes me vomit. How long can a person live this way?

To make it worse my doctors' are blaming it on depression. I wasn't depressed until the symptoms started 10 months ago. They're sticking me in a Psych. ward and not treating the TN. Feel so hopeless.

Hi Kathryn,

I’m so sorry to hear about this terrible time you’re going through. The pain of TN often causes anxiety and depression, so it is important to take care of your emotional, as well as your physical well-being. I pray that you are taken care of and that all of your needs are met. There is light at the end of this journey. Be blessed.

Who is "sticking you in a psych ward", Kathryn? Normally such action requires a formal hearing before a qualified judge. Your symptoms are NOT psychosomatic, and any qualified neurologist should be able to testify to that. From the symptoms you report, I would suggest you may be dealing with an unusually aggravated case of Nervus Intermedius Neuralgia.

If you're not under medication or have been denied medication for the pain (generally with one of the anti-seizure meds that are used off-label in neuralgia, or perhaps one of the tricyclic antidepressant drugs used in neuropathy), then you'll have grounds for a million dollar malpractice lawsuit. Please add a few details here as you can.

Go in Peace and Power

Red Lawhern, Ph.D.

Resident Research Analyst, LWTN