Please leave your tips here on how to alleviate Ear Pain

Your tips may help another member relieve their suffering. Please leave yours here.

1) I use a mixture of 2/3 olive oil, 1/3 tea tree oil, which is anesthetic and antiseptic, so it numbs the ear a little bit and kills infections if there are any. The smell is strong though. I warm it to just barely warmer than room temp by setting the bottle in mug of hot water, then I keep the drops in with a piece of cotton. If I don't want the smell, I just use olive oil. I got the dropper bottle from the pharmacist.

2) I also made a little rice pack (piece of cloth made into a bag the size of my hand with rice inside it) that I put in the microwave, then hold to my ear. I found that half a terry cloth washcloth folded in half to make the bag works best because the terry cloth protects my TN and skin from the heat a bit.

3) I know a few people who buy the disposable hand warmers to use out in public when the pain comes. Just shake and break to make the warmth.

4) I keep foamie earplugs handy and some in my purse, so I can put them in one ear when noise or wind threatens to cause an attack.

The foamie ear plugs are great. I carry them everywhere. They sell them in the store. My brother gets me mine from his work and they come on a chord. Its great.

I have the heated rice pack that works well too.

I use ice with a magnetic knee wrap. I put the ice pack in the knee wrap and put it on the area so you get the benefit of the ice and the magnet therapy.

La La,

I always wondered if anyone had tried magnet therapy for TN. It would be interesting to find out how many have had success with that or not.

My Mom is a genius...she used to put a few drops of 'sweet oil' in our ears with some cotton to PLUG it in...that used to help so much! I heat up a few drops of the sweet oil, use a dropper to put it in my left ear and a little cotton. It does help ease the aching / hurting pain.

Since my ear pain seems to be part of the constant underlying ache I have between sharp pains, I find that the biggest problem is be extremely sensitive to noise. I cannot always wear ear buds or plugs because the nerve runs inside the upper part of my ear in the canal, but I find wads of cotton are easier to maneuver to just be at the entrance of my ear, not touching the affected area. Heat seems to help some,too, and avoiding anything that involves pressure to the ears like head phones or low thrumming noises (easier said than done, though...our furnace is noisy). I would love other tips. I can't use the phone very much. Not always a bad thing, but sometimes I like to call family.

I have heard the expression "sweet oil" but what does that mean? My mom used to do that, too.

cris said:

My Mom is a genius...she used to put a few drops of 'sweet oil' in our ears with some cotton to PLUG it in...that used to help so much! I heat up a few drops of the sweet oil, use a dropper to put it in my left ear and a little cotton. It does help ease the aching / hurting pain.

I have this on the right side. I use a heating pad or my microwavable terry cloth filled with rice. I will have to try the drops because the pain gets really bad!

I have ear pain as well and use one of those 'bean bag' things that you heat up the in microwave, although I put a cup of water in with it so it is moist heat. I can have the pain on either side though and if the heat does not help I take pain meds. as it is unbearable.

It is literally an oil that you can purchase at the pharmacy or the health store...I guess the good things never go out of style! Hope you can find some - it works!

booklass said:

I have heard the expression "sweet oil" but what does that mean? My mom used to do that, too.

cris said:

Okay, I will look. I always thought "sweet oil" was a southern name for some other type of oil, not the actual name.

Cris and Booklass, olive oil works too, even better if mixed with 1/3 tea tree oil. I got my dropper & bottle from a pharmacist. tea tree oil is slightly numbing and antiseptic if there's any threat from infection.

Blessings, Sheila

cris said:

It is literally an oil that you can purchase at the pharmacy or the health store...I guess the good things never go out of style! Hope you can find some - it works!

booklass said:

cris said:

I have heard of the benefits of tea tree oil, thanks Sheila! ... being a chef and a nurse (in a former 'life'), please be careful in heating up the whole bottle of oil every time you want to use warmed oil. With olive oil in particular, it starts to break down with heat applied and with repeated heat applications, it might break it down far enough that it would be unsafe to use in your ear. It might be safer to heat up small amounts at a time and use that amount - do not pour it back in the bottle. ...we have to take care of each other, right??!!

Sheila,

My Mom is the one who introduced me to the magentic therapy. It has been an amazing surprise for me because it actually helps me. Sometimes I just lay it on my face and it helps. I was amazed. I am hands down all for trying new things now.

LaLa

Sheila said:

La La,

I always wondered if anyone had tried magnet therapy for TN. It would be interesting to find out how many have had success with that or not.

One thing that helps and its very simple, the pain when sleeping can be awesome. I cannot sleep on the other side as that triggers the type l pain and I have a large surgery scar that bothers me. So I make a fist and bore it into my pillow to make a cup for my ear to rest in and that helps so much. I bought the best pillows I could afford also. Makes a lot of difference.