Please help... Having MVD in 3 weeks

MVD coming up on 19th April!
Hi folks
My discussion with my Neurosurgeon was great, we discussed my TN history, meds, medical and surgical interventions available etc…

I have decided to go ahead with MVD next month on the 19th April… Big step, but need relief from pain, as side effects from meds and lack of pain relief from them means that this is my best option…
Figure earlier intervention before more damage is done to the nerve, the better the outcome…

Any advise, in lead up to surgery would be great, and any post-op advise/what to expect would be really appreciated :wink:

Cheers,
Molly Woppy

mvd worked for me in the sense that my 30-40 flashes a day stopped thank God. during procedure air enters head and causes severe headache until air absorbed into tissues. lasted 2 months hope all goes well

Thanks for that uripadee… Glad you MVD worked and stopped those flares! Well, I certainly hope any headaches ease of as quickly as possible… Presumably I’ll be given sufficient pain relief to help sort that out…

Hey Molly, Best of luck on your MVD procedure. I was just wondering if you are having that at University of Pennsylvania Hospital. I once had a cranootomy for an epidermoid cyst. That was some 13 years ago. It caused me tremendous pain and my operation seemed successful. An epidermoid cyst is rare and it was pressing against the trigeminal nerve on the left side. I started getting TN pain again almost two years ago and this time it is on the right side of my face. I am on the fence about MVD. |I am going for a second opinion. An the neurosurgeon (first one) did a poor job of reviewing my MRI. There was a spot on it and he says he did not know what it was and he’d only know once he does the MVD. I did not buy into his not k owing so I contacted my neurosurgeo who did my craniotomy. Turns out that it is an “artifact” which means it is caused by aberrations with the MRI equipment or I may have moved slightly. Just goes to show you that these doctors do not always take the time with you. Just saying and I am not trying to frighten you. I will pray that you will fleet the relief from pqain.
Best wishes,
Mike

Thanks Mike
I’m in NZ so having the operation here in Hamilton at Southern Cross Hospital… Glad your surgery for the cyst was successful, though painful. I can understand why your are on the fence about a second one…