Ping Pong Pain

Hi, everyone. A similar discussion may have taken place before on this forum, but I'd like to start another. My pain started at an upper right molar. Over the last year, it has progressed to shoot over to the side of my nose, then up to my eyeball, and then my eyeball felt like it was in a vise or clamp. I've tried oxcarbapezine and neurontin, only to be allergic to them both with a rash. At a routine appointment, my psychiatrist suggested amitriptaline, and it has helped a lot. The clamp on my eyeball let up, and I stopped crying daily because I'm not so miserable. Of course, no medicine is gonna kill this pain completely, I don't think, but I've been pleased with the relief thus far.

Last night at 2:00 a.m., I was awakened with what I can only describe as a ping-pong match going on in my head. I guess I could also describe it as electrical zaps. I know the "zap" is characteristic of TN, but I'm curious as to whether anyone else could describe it as a ping pong match! No medicine touched it -- not Percocet, not Imitrex for migraine (sometimes I get relief with that med as well).

All I could envision was a video game screen with a little white ball bouncing off the sides of the screen. That's what my head felt like! It was more on my left side and forehead than on my right, where my TN pain is typically. I couldn't go to work (I'm a legal assistant and have missed a ton of time since being diagnosed), and it finally let up at 5:00 p.m. Couldn't eat much all day -- just laid in bed or sat on the couch with heat on my neck to keep my muscle loose and ice on my head to numb the pain!

Any thoughts or comments? Merry Christmas to all!

Patterns of rapidly shifting pain -- sometimes back and forth from one side to the other -- are fairly common in both types of TN. It might be worthwhile for you to discuss with your neurologists a combination of Amitriptyline (which has seemed to help you up to now) and Trileptal. The latter was developed as an extension of the actions of Carbamazepine (Tegretol), intended to provide similar primary effects with a lower level of side effects and allergy reactions.

Go in Peace and Power

Red

I have that at times with pain or twitches on one side flaring in a mirror image to the other side. Like one side is setting off the other. Sorry you are having to deal with that. Best wishes

Changing pain sites does not suggest a peripheral cause of tn, you either have peripheral nerve damage or irritation in which the pain/ symptoms will be a constant pattern, or more likely it has a central cause. Dental damage, vascular irritation (as typically stated for tn1) would not be expected to switch sides being a peripheral nerve manifestation.

All anti-convulsants are out ... Have tried several over the years for TN and earlier for migraine ... Bad reactions. I'll definitely be mentioning it to my neurosurgeon. MRI tomorrow! Yay!

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

Patterns of rapidly shifting pain -- sometimes back and forth from one side to the other -- are fairly common in both types of TN. It might be worthwhile for you to discuss with your neurologists a combination of Amitriptyline (which has seemed to help you up to now) and Trileptal. The latter was developed as an extension of the actions of Carbamazepine (Tegretol), intended to provide similar primary effects with a lower level of side effects and allergy reactions.

Go in Peace and Power

Red