PALEXIA - Anyone else trying or tried it?

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else here is trying or has tried the new painkilling drug called "Palexia SR 50mg, not just for TGN, for other conditions as well?

Some feed-back would be great!

Thanks,

Dee :-)

Try putting it in search box above..... if new med , harder to get feedback on it!

I always go to askapatient.com patients rate meds and side effects

I always poke around RXlist.com and drugs.com too.

I did a quick look at this drug and it looks promising. I do have one concern. I am on anti-anxiety medication because of the pain, never was before but cannot live without it now. Here is an exerpt from www.netdoctor.co.uk

There may be an increased risk of a rare side effect called the serotonin syndrome if tapentadol is taken in combination with other medicines that enhance the activity of serotonin in the central nervous system, such as the following:

• selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants (SSRIs), such as citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine or sertraline
  • serotonin noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), such as venlafaxine or duloxetine
  • triptans for migraine, such as sumatriptan, zolmitriptan.

I would seriously watch out for this - its not a joke, and can be life threatening. My doctors have had me monitored for a while when I started. I also had to know the symptoms just in case.

Hope this helps.

Good point Smash.
I got serotonin toxicity from cymbalta and tramacet almost two years ago. It was scary and dangerous. Severe myoclonus and facial dystonia. I ditched cymbalta and it cleared up. But hemi- facial spasm has made an appearance.

Right now I’ve added trileptal to gabapentin and recently added small about of nortriptyline but something is going on with my vision and heart has gone sort of lumpy feeling. Had blood work and emergency eye exam last week. Got called in to discuss bloodwork tomorrow. Going for spinal tap May 9th.

So the thing is, all these drugs need to be monitored carefully. I’m not convinced they’re working all that much anyway. Tricky stuff.

Bella,

I am also on gabapentin & have noticed a serious deterioration in my eyesight since I started taking it in December, I can no longer read texts on my phone without my glasses. I hadn't had m eyes checked since 2007 as I could read perfectly well without my glasses, but suddenly it would appear that I am as blind as a bat! :-l

How did you get on with your blood tests?

Thanks for asking, Deanne. I went in yesterday and have been told to stop the trileptal right now. Big drop in sodium, hemoglobin, and blood sugar. Explains the severe vertigo I experienced in the shower yesterday morning. I had to cut the gabapentin by 900. My vision is more or less back to the way it was. I did have my eyes checked just over a year a ago and needed new glasses after being on gabapentin for about eight months at that time. Anyway, it’s always good to have a baseline for everything before even starting to take them.

So now it’s back to the drawing board meds- wise for me. I hadn’t heard of Palexia. Will check it out. Right now just feeling not so hot and not ready to try something else. This stuff takes its toll…
Great to hear it’s working for you.

Yeah, I know what you mean Bella, I went straight from Trileptal to Phenytoin & had severe reactions to both of them. I developed a body-wide rash of stinging/burning blisters which left really bad scarring when it finally cleared up a few months after I stopped them. Some of the side effects are almost worse than the TGN at times.

The Palexia was prescribed for m Fibromyalgia but as I got the Lidocaine infusion & started the Palexia at the same time, I can't be exactly sure which has given me my slight current reprieve, but ...keep your chin up hun & keep on fighting. :-) xo

Bellalarke said:

Thanks for asking, Deanne. I went in yesterday and have been told to stop the trileptal right now. Big drop in sodium, hemoglobin, and blood sugar. Explains the severe vertigo I experienced in the shower yesterday morning. I had to cut the gabapentin by 900. My vision is more or less back to the way it was. I did have my eyes checked just over a year a ago and needed new glasses after being on gabapentin for about eight months at that time. Anyway, it's always good to have a baseline for everything before even starting to take them.

So now it's back to the drawing board meds- wise for me. I hadn't heard of Palexia. Will check it out. Right now just feeling not so hot and not ready to try something else. This stuff takes its toll...
Great to hear it's working for you.

Good morning folks,

just a quick update on the Palexia...I've been taking them for approximately 10 or 11 weeks now, initially 100mg twice a day, then upgrading my dosage by an extra 50mg at night last month. To be completely honest, I am struggling as, whilst they are slow release, I often find that they are not quite as effective as my previous painkillers, Pentazocine. Maybe I'm just not used to the slow release side of things yet, but given that when on regular 4 to 6 hourly painkillers, I could choose whether or not I could tolerate certain levels of pain before taking any medication, I have increasingly felt frustrated by the fact that when my pain levels peak now, I can not take any more until my 12 hours are up.

In general, my pain levels from the Fibromyalgia & my 2 busted discs do appear to have eased slightly at the moment, but Palexia does not seem to be cutting the mustard, so to speak, when it comes to my TGN.

Needless to say, as is typical here in N. Ireland, I am still awaiting the MRI scan, it's now coming up on 7 months since my ns requested it...hopefully I should hear something soon. :-)