Painkillers - Oxycodone

Has anyone tried painkillers, such as Oxycodone for TN?

I have used oxycodone and hydrocodone and I have also come off of the medicines. I have heard that taking oxycontin helps for the first little while and then pain comes back while you’re still taking the meds; thats why I haven’t tried it. Actually I tried coming off of neurontin and it was harder than the oxycodone!!! Taking hydrocodone regularly helps with the TN. If you can stick with oxycodone or hydrocodone. You just have to take it regularly, its best to take the lowest dose regularly then you can take more when you need it. I hope this helps.

I take 10mg oxycodone 5 times a day and demerol 50mg 3 times a day also roxicodone 30 mg one time a day
roxicidone is just 30mg oxycodone immediate release so its like taking 3 10mgs at once
they work somewhat but like anything else is has a shelf life
Rick

I took hydrocodone on a regular basis until I had my MVD. Sometimes it helped, sometimes it didn’t. I agree with others that medicines’ effectiveness wears off as a person takes it over a long period of time. I also know that it is a slippery slope. It is necessary to go to a higher dose, stronger medicine for relief… when does it stop.

Best wishes as you figure out what works for you. The MVD was the answer for me :slight_smile:

Blessings,
Melodye

Daniela,
I tried many but my face either swells tremendously or my breathing is affected. I take tylenol 3 which hasn’t helped as much as some of the others but the only one I have been able to take.
Liz

Rick, I take Oxycontin 3 times a day. They are all the extended release. I take a 30mg. two times per day and a 20mg. at night. Sleep is the only true escape. I also take xanax as needed and that helps me alot. And the last defense is Dilaudad 8mg. sometimes 2 at a time, no more than 8/day. That is a lot of painkillers. I also have a medtronics pump this too has dilaudid and Marcaine or bubifocaine. This goes to my spinal fluid. But I am stable and have been for some time. Just here. No more and no less. Then the attitude and vitamins seal the deal. An icepack or a cream compound that has ketamine, neurontin, soma, mabye even some lidodern. That is awesome. More about that cream if you like to know about it. Best, Julz

I just recently was diagnosed with TN and what’s weird is that pain med’s don’t help me at all! They even put me on Morphine in the Emergency Room and it didn’t even touch the pain. Am I the only one who’s not helped by pain medication?

Hi! I am new to this site and just read this post. I would like to know more about the neurontin cream compound you mention and how it works, how often you use it and whether or not it helps with your face pain? Thanks! Johanna

uwfotogal said:

Rick, I take Oxycontin 3 times a day. They are all the extended release. I take a 30mg. two times per day and a 20mg. at night. Sleep is the only true escape. I also take xanax as needed and that helps me alot. And the last defense is Dilaudad 8mg. sometimes 2 at a time, no more than 8/day. That is a lot of painkillers. I also have a medtronics pump this too has dilaudid and Marcaine or bubifocaine. This goes to my spinal fluid. But I am stable and have been for some time. Just here. No more and no less. Then the attitude and vitamins seal the deal. An icepack or a cream compound that has ketamine, neurontin, soma, mabye even some lidodern. That is awesome. More about that cream if you like to know about it. Best, Julz

Vicki, I had the same experience with pain meds. Most either did not work, made the pain worse, or I had a reaction that was not pleasant. I’m still working on the right combination, but today was a better day. I felt human all afternoon! :slight_smile:

I know what you mean. The ER doctor gave me morphine and the pain came right back after about 20 minutes. It is so frustrating to know that even really strong pain meds won’t help.

Vicki Dvorak said:

I just recently was diagnosed with TN and what’s weird is that pain med’s don’t help me at all! They even put me on Morphine in the Emergency Room and it didn’t even touch the pain. Am I the only one who’s not helped by pain medication?

I too have been on many painkillers prescribed by neuro’s to “help” the TN. The fact is noted in medical journals that most opiods don’t work for many people with TN. That opioids don’t touch the pain. It’s just not that type of pain that can be “fixed” with these kind of meds. What my doctor actually told me, and I’ve heard from other long time sufferers, is that taking opiods made them care less that they “were” in pain.

After a while any medicine, whether it is a painkiller or not, the body adapts to it, and it will no longer work. On a personal note, when the ER put me on morphine, I hated how it made me feel, I felt “wrong” and my mind went to Alice’s wonderland, lol.

Sabrina, Oxycontin is a sustained release med derived from hydrocodone.

Vicki, it is actually not unusual, as I said TN as a disorder is not affected by pain medication and that is true for at least 90% of sufferers. If pain medications have helped some of you that is wonderful, I’m glad your doctors have been able to provide with something that gives you relief.

I too have oxycodone in my personal pharmacy kit. In 5mg tabs. My doctor told me to take it regularly, however I did not wish to cause a dependance on it as some of you have also expressed concern over and i also did not want the medication to “not” work when I needed it too.

The following advice applies only to me and I must re-instate here, I have no medical training and this advice was provided to me by a nurse, not a doctor and of course the info is second hand and given to me while recovering from a general anaesthetic:

I have also by my doctor been put on 800mg Brufen (Ibuprofen), a prescription only dosage. After my last Pulsed radiofrequency treatment, my post op nurse gave me great advice. Take the Oxycodone only AS required, in the same prescribed dose, but take it with the ibuprofen. It reduces side effects from the pain meds he says and that he believed it increased efficiency. So I ONLY take my oxy when I need it, maybe once every few days or so, NOT every day, then take it with my 800mg day Brufen dosage. It helps me a little bit.

In saying that, I don’t believe my TN to be following the normal pathways. It has been indicated to me recently that I may ALSO be suffering from Cluster headache syndrome AS WELL AS the TN :(. Cluster headaches are caused from inflammation in the arteries and nerves surrounding the trigeminal nerve by signals sent from the hypothalmus. Yet, my TN is triggered by all the usual TN triggers. So, they for me are two separate yet linked disorders - YAY, not!

Cheers all ~ Wishing us all pain free days!

Cheers

Thankyou everyone for your answers to my questions about pain medications. I’m new to this site and to TN and didn’t realise you had responded. lol.

Well, guess what? Now my 21 year old daughter is experiencing the same symptoms I have and it looks like she might have TN, too. :frowning: Is it hereditary? Also, are IV steroids the only thing that helps the pain immediately? She’s on a low dose of Neurontin and it’s not helping at all.

I’ll check back to make sure I don’t miss your answers this time. :wink: