Pain Patch on Face? Thanks!

I've just started reading about these

what are the differences, and what should I ask my neurologist to help me chose for TNI while I try and get off trileptal?

I am on a pain patch called Fentanyl since about a month a a half. I've dealt with TN 1 on the right side of my face for 7 years.

Trileptal, tegretol, and neurontin are the classic anti-epileptic medications used for TN. What they do is to quiet down the nerve that shoots pain signals (origin of the pain). The pain patches you may be asking about are normally narcotic medication that affect the perception of the pain. They are applied in different regions of the body (the way people use parches to quit smoking). Ask your doctor, they have side effects.

Remember that medications may have different results on different people.

I had never before responded to narcotics because I have TN 1 , they did nothing to alleviate my pain.

Also, there is a lidocaine patch that can be applied to the face. This is a numbing medication and the patch is applied on the region you want to numb (that didn't work for me). You can google the name "Fentanyl" and "lidocaine patch" and obtain more information .

Hope this helps.

Carolina

Is your patch working for you?

I have to lower my trileptal to function... but getting breakthru pain for the first time ever in 6 months. If I can't find a miracle patch - next up is exam for MVD for me.

Carolina Thatcher said:

I am on a pain patch called Fentanyl since about a month a a half. I've dealt with TN 1 on the right side of my face for 7 years.

Trileptal, tegretol, and neurontin are the classic anti-epileptic medications used for TN. What they do is to quiet down the nerve that shoots pain signals (origin of the pain). The pain patches you may be asking about are normally narcotic medication that affect the perception of the pain. They are applied in different regions of the body (the way people use parches to quit smoking). Ask your doctor, they have side effects.

Remember that medications may have different results on different people.

I had never before responded to narcotics because I have TN 1 , they did nothing to alleviate my pain.

Also, there is a lidocaine patch that can be applied to the face. This is a numbing medication and the patch is applied on the region you want to numb (that didn't work for me). You can google the name "Fentanyl" and "lidocaine patch" and obtain more information .

Hope this helps.

Carolina

Yes, and I'm surprised because narcotics never worked for me. In February I had Gamma Knife and it made things 100 times worse. Fentanyl is working for me in reducing the extreme portion of the pain. It's a pain that I feel deep in the cheek bone and the nose when I have an attack.
Be careful with trilepal, if you have break through pain, then going back to the same dose will not work and you will need to increase it. I was taking 600 mg 3 times a day and driving 52 miles to work. For me, arranging the medication schedule worked better than lowering the dose. The dizziness will subside once you are used to the dose you have. Trilepal is one of the best medications for TN. For me, it was the one that worked the longest with the fewer side effects until I had the Gamma Knife. I had it because my doctor was kind of running out of medication options and I wanted to be medication free as soon as possible in order to be myself again. It turns out that now I am in more medications, more pain, and looking at disability.

Carolina

Kc Dancer Kc said:

Is your patch working for you?

I have to lower my trileptal to function... but getting breakthru pain for the first time ever in 6 months. If I can't find a miracle patch - next up is exam for MVD for me.

Carolina Thatcher said: