Pain Getting Worse at Night

I have recently found that my pain is getting much worse at night and especially when I lay down to go to bed. Suddenly all my teeth start to feel some sort of intense pain that I can't even explain. Sometimes, it happens before I even lay down. It's really more about it being night time and it is more likely to occur if I eat something. But it's all of my teeth and my gums too. It's like my entire mouth is on fire but without heat, I'm sorry but I don't know how else to explain it. These episodes usually last about 30 minutes or so and I wrap my face in my heating pad and literally rock back and forth like a baby. Any suggestions? Could this be something unrelated to the TN?

This is not at all helpful but I'm starting to feel like there is nothing out there that's not related to TN!!!

I have ATN and I find that my aching is more often worse at night. It kind of builds as the day goes on although I'm writing this in the morning and the ache isn't at all pleasant now. I often get that all teeth pain thing too and back when I was ignorant that sent me off to the dentist suspecting some dreadful gum disease!! I think what you're doing now is probably right. Have fun!!

Thank you Catwoman, I appreciate you sharing this with me. In all honesty, I have had a lot of most likely, unneeded dental work, like root canals, pulled teeth, etc. Now I keep an XRay of the work that HAS been done because I have unknowingly actually gone to the dentist and asked them to do root canals on teeth that already had been done. But this problem with all of my teeth and gums thing is new and absolutely horrible!

Call primary or dentist
Have them call in lidocaine mouthwash! Could be helpful!

Hi Cathy,

I have atypical TN and I get this too, in fact for the past 4 days I had what you described going on - a mouthful of intense fiery pain affecting teeth and gums. Today was better, only a small area of my upper lip was burning which was a big improvement. It's worse for me when I lay down at night and also when I'm driving for some reason. I think it's related to TN, just another fun symptom. Frequent sips of cool water get me through, sliced cucumber can be soothing too - wish I had some better suggestions for you.

Thanks for the suggestions. Wow, it's amazing that other people are dealing with these same things! I have the lidocaine mouthwash and it does help. I will need a refill if this keeps up. I have it because I also have connective tissue disease and sores in my mouth. I will certainly try the sliced cucumbers!

I also suffer from this my mouth and tongue feel like they are on fire. My TN pain and toothache gets worse when I lay down as well x

Someone suggested a particular type of pillow so I have ordered a trapezoid-shaped orthopedic pillow in the hopes that it will help for me. As soon as I get a chance to really try it out, I'll let everyone know. Of course, that won't help for time when things happen BEFORE bedtime.

I have ATN and it is definitely worse at night. My teeth as I write this are burning with pain, and I've already raised my dose of Tegretol to 800mg. I notice my teeth never hurt when I sleep, so I love to sleep. Hope you feel better soon.

hi cathy! I wonder if it has something to do with your position in bed-a shift in pressure ? maybe elevation yourould help? I have tmj and type 1 and 2 tn from dental injury with torn cartilage. what has helped me is homeopathy. I take spigelia and find that hylands migraine is great for bursting throbbing pain-there are some others out there I have not tried yet but will.swansons also has nerve pain that when added helps with the burning-homeopathy might seem like mumbo jumbo but my husband got over bilateral carpal tunnel and we treated our rabbit for a bad case of hayfever with respiratory distress,awollen leaking eye that was tender and closed-used swansons hayfever and within12 hrs he was his usual happy self! I am sorry about the typos in this note-how does this happen!? I hope that you get some improvement soon-I know just how bad tn can be after 23 yrs! stay strong-experiment alittle and God bless you!

hi cathy. My pain is in my teeth and gums,mind you i have had quite alot of face pain over the last few weeks,more so than usual,but it has been cold here. I use bonjela for babies,it has lidocaine in it. We also have 'iglu' which has lidocaine too,but its a horrible waxy feeling,so i dont use it now. My pain can build up over the day,and is usually at its peak later on. I have been using co codamol for the last 2 days,which gave some relief too. However my pain/odd feeling in my teeth and gums never goes away,its there always,but sometimes its better than other days. Tonight i have a throbbing back molar (no pain from it). Sigh............

what is the swansons for nerve pain that you use

why was that pillow suggested. I may have a look around for one if its recommended.

Cathy in MD said:

Someone suggested a particular type of pillow so I have ordered a trapezoid-shaped orthopedic pillow in the hopes that it will help for me. As soon as I get a chance to really try it out, I'll let everyone know. Of course, that won't help for time when things happen BEFORE bedtime.

I just got my pillow yesterday, which I ordered from Amazon. I was able to go with the petite because I am a petite person. It was also a lot less expensive than the larger versions. I found it to be very comfortable. It provides me with the support I needed for my neck without putting pressure on my face. I also found that I was not struggling all night with finding a way to get comfortable. I will let everyone know how it goes.

I ordered the Core 219 Petite Core Pillow White-Firm for $26.58. I am a Prime member with Amazon so I also got free shipping and had in two days.

I am also interested in knowing what the Swanson's is that you have referred to.

erin said:

hi cathy! I wonder if it has something to do with your position in bed-a shift in pressure ? maybe elevation yourould help? I have tmj and type 1 and 2 tn from dental injury with torn cartilage. what has helped me is homeopathy. I take spigelia and find that hylands migraine is great for bursting throbbing pain-there are some others out there I have not tried yet but will.swansons also has nerve pain that when added helps with the burning-homeopathy might seem like mumbo jumbo but my husband got over bilateral carpal tunnel and we treated our rabbit for a bad case of hayfever with respiratory distress,awollen leaking eye that was tender and closed-used swansons hayfever and within12 hrs he was his usual happy self! I am sorry about the typos in this note-how does this happen!? I hope that you get some improvement soon-I know just how bad tn can be after 23 yrs! stay strong-experiment alittle and God bless you!

How funny, I was recently at the Core website looking to order some hot/cold pads and looked at the pillows. I have a stack of pillows in my guest closet as well as a few more in my closet that I tried and couldn't use. I feel like the Princess and the Pea. Please do update how the pillow works for you. I just added it to my cart at Amazon.

Cathy in MD said:

I just got my pillow yesterday, which I ordered from Amazon. I was able to go with the petite because I am a petite person. It was also a lot less expensive than the larger versions. I found it to be very comfortable. It provides me with the support I needed for my neck without putting pressure on my face. I also found that I was not struggling all night with finding a way to get comfortable. I will let everyone know how it goes.

I ordered the Core 219 Petite Core Pillow White-Firm for $26.58. I am a Prime member with Amazon so I also got free shipping and had in two days.

hi Barbara and cathy! I have been having trouble sending messages-don't know why but I am new to all this computer/internet stuff [company name removed] homeopathic is nerve pain relief- $5.00. but that alone wont do the trick for this wretched tn-I take spigelia 200c strength -just now trying 30c strength which is helping ok and I keep [brand name removed] on hand for bursting pulsing pain and boiron sinusalia for sinus pain which increases tn pain.the spigelia I get from 1 800 [ref removed] $10.00 and up depending on size and amt.homeopathics are generally dissolved under the tongue or in mouth-have a long shelf life-keep from moisture.sometimes I add mag phos and/or hypericum perf. I want to try colocynthis for violent cutting pain and arsenicum album for burning pain also allium cepa if tn caused by injury-which mine was. I am going to restart benfotiame which is great for neuropathy in diabetics and I did read 1 account of a person with tn get relief. I hope this helps you-it has helped me a lot!

My theory is - If TN is caused by a vein pushing on the Trigeminal nerve , when laying down the vein will swell with blood causing more pressure on the nerve . Simple as that - or not . I have a lot of night time problems and when I am wakened by pain - I sit up for 20-30 mins and the pain fades away . It makes sense to me that this is what is happening . When upright - less blood will go to your head , when laying down - more blood will flow to your head.

I have no proof - this is only presumption . Rarely do I sleep well because of this . I cannot sleep in an easy chair as this position is far worse than laying down for some reason .

Anticipation of problems at night can trigger the pain . What fun !

My pain is a lot worse at night too, especially on days when I've done a lot of talking and smiling. I have trouble falling asleep sometimes because of this. My pain could be worse because:

1) The area has been stimulated by a lot of activity throughout the day, causing more pain.

2) My brain isn't focusing on other things, making me more aware of the pain.

3) The position of lying down puts pressure on the irritated nerve.

Funnily enough, I'm usually feeling the best first thing in the morning. It takes a little while for my pain to "wake up" and I can actually have about 5-10 minutes when I'm pain free. If only I could take whatever it is my body does when I'm sleeping and turn it on when I'm awake!

VeteranInPain,

Have you tried a different recliner...I hate to see you in such pain!!! I sleep in a big comfy recliner...If I sleep flat, I get facial swelling and headache pain...:(

I don't like that I cannot sleep in the bed, and I don't sleep the best, but I refuse to sleep flat.....:(

@Toothache ~ If only.....sleep is our only refuge....