Quantcast

Living With Facial Pain

Old root canal has infection/Retreatment?

Hello there. I’m still involved in getting my dental work done. The work on my right side is coming along. I still need a bridge on that side.

I started getting a toothache on my left side on a tooth that had a large cavity almost on the nerve so I had it RC’d. It could not be filled. It went well with little pain.

When the endo was taking xrays he noticed something on the RC’d tooth behind it. He gave me a cone xray and said the good news is it’s not cracked. The bad news is it’s infected. He says he could retreat it (50/50 chance), an apico or pull it.

I won’t do an apico or get an implant, so I’m looking at another bridge if I pull it. The retreat could work but who knows. Anyone have an RC’d tooth retreated? This is on my top left good side.

Dunno about your situation in particular but if on good side, I’d be optimistic. I just had RC on lower bad side which flared my GN. It has subsided but will only have work done on bad side if last resort! :weary:

Yes, my daughter had an extra nerve that was not easily visible when original rc was done. So that had to be treated several years later when it was infected.
I had a piece of instrument left in place after an rc, was not told about it , had to be treated surgically years later after it became infected.

Also had an rc badly done that had to be redone.
Luckily I have a fantastic endo. Bottom line is infection has to be treated.
I’m wi0th you on not having an implant, have two bridges on molars.
Hour this is helpful.
Ps could have bought a new Cadillac with all the cash spent on teeth.

Thanks everyone. Not sure if I should do retreat or pull it. It’s a hard decision. I have an appointment Monday to discuss. I go back and forth with this one. jazmin.