No Food for Days/No Sleep

It's been days now since I've eaten anything and had little to drink. I am way past the hunger stage and now well into the nausa and sick feeling. I can't sleep much but at least the attacks are at bay but my strength is at it's lowest. Just wondering how long we can go without food before it becomes dangerous? I don't want anything to eat now. I do take vitamins however but they make me nauseous. Anyone else experience this and for how long? Seems like food on the tummy is what causes the pain and not the act of eating itself. Mashed potatoes or soup causes attacks 20-30 minutes after eating. Anyone else experience this?

I am so sorry to hear this. Yes, vitamins on an empy stomach have alway made me sick and I have gone weeks without eating and lost a lot of weight. One thing that has helped me immensely is Kellogs Protein Drinks. (not selling this brand, it's just the one that tastes best to me). You get the needed vitamins your body needs, you feel like you ate something without actually putting anything in your stomach, it tastes great and makes you feel good and gives you strength. I hope this helps you and allows you to get some sleep. I wish you the best.

The protein drinks is a wonderful suggestion, maybe try a straw, if it causes severe pain to open mouth to eat. I use a straw even though it does hurt to swallow sometimes. You definitely need liquid long before you need food. Don't let yourself get dehydrated. Maybe even try to drink Gatorade through a straw.

Very sorry to hear this. You must be in tremendous pain. Food does affect me, but not all food. My allergy doctor had me go on an oliogogenic diet and add back one food at a time until I found the ones to which I was either allergic or intolerant. It was well worth the work. I know what triggers my attacks and I'm not even tempted to eat those "toxins". I used to be in such pain that I wouldn't sleep for days. It sounds like you are going through hell. So sorry. Don't trust allergy tests. They aren't particularly reliable and not comprehensive. One of my allergies is lettuce. Very rare and not generally tested. Good luck getting through this episode. Someday you'll have control and be so amazed at how good life is.

Thank You for your words of hope. Amazing this just happened all of a sudden. It has now been like this for 5 ongoing agonizing weeks without hope of letting up. They are still running tests to rule out tumors and the likes so I won't get those results until next week and a plan of treatment. Until then, I guess I will just continue to Eat Topamax:) Glad to hear that you have had such success with removing "toxic" foods because that is exactly what it feels like is happening. I want to learn more about that. I knew it wasn't the act of chewing but something much different that was triggering these attacks as some food was much worse than others especially carbs are much worse for me.

Thank You for your suggestions. It actually sounds better than anything else I can think of:) I tried a small serving of mashed potatoes and bread yesterday and dearly paid for it all last night and today with one attack after another after going for 5 days without anything so I have vowed nothing else. I will however try the Kellogs Drink as I can drink without having to pay. Thank You again for the Advice as I am at my lowest on strength.

Jenny2 said:

I am so sorry to hear this. Yes, vitamins on an empy stomach have alway made me sick and I have gone weeks without eating and lost a lot of weight. One thing that has helped me immensely is Kellogs Protein Drinks. (not selling this brand, it's just the one that tastes best to me). You get the needed vitamins your body needs, you feel like you ate something without actually putting anything in your stomach, it tastes great and makes you feel good and gives you strength. I hope this helps you and allows you to get some sleep. I wish you the best.

Hello again,

You mentioned in your reply that you would like to learn more about foods which are toxic. First I would like to say that mine has been a long and arduous journey to find my way out of TN controlling my life. When I say that I understand your pain, I do. I understand what you are going through and how some days it is all you can do just to get through the day. My TN was so bad that my daughter once told me, "Mom, I thought you were going crazy." Perhaps I was, the pain was so out of control. It has been a journey, and that is what I want to tell you. Keep picking away and layer by layer you may find all the triggers, and they do go even beyond foods, that you need to know about so that you can manage your condition. I've decided there is no cure, no magic pill for my condition. I manage it and escape the pain. As to foods, the ones I identified and took out of my diet may not be the same ones that could affect you. True allergies I have are Romaine and iceberg lettuce and perpetual spinach. I also have found I don't tolerate a lot of food in the asteracea family and so I avoid these as much as possible. I don't eat wheat or wheat gluten as it upsets my system in ways that triggers a TN episode. Do know that it took me five years of trial and error and concentration on my diet to sort this out. Only I had the answer. It is too complex and too specific I think for doctors to be involved at the level of concentration that this needs. My TN is not gone. if the electric shocks do begin, and this happens occasionally, I understand they are a warning and realize that I've done something or added something to my life that is aggravating my condition. So I back up, think it through, and adjust. The TN will never go away, but I am happy. I don't hurt. My migraines, my TMJ and TMD are becoming distant memories and my sleep is tolerable. My relationships are sound. I only rely on medications sporadically. I could not have said any of this 10 years ago. I'm so sorry you are suffering. I hope you find peace and the answers you need.