Neurosurgeon in Orlando/Winter Park, Florida

Melvin Field, M.D.

Orlando Neurosurgery

1605 W Fairbanks Avenue
Winter Park, Fl. 32789
(407) ■■■■■■■■

Bio: http://www.orlandoneurosurgery.com/physicians_field.php

I go to Orlando frequently. Did you have an MVD or another procedure with this doctor? Can you add some information? How are you feeling now? Sending good thoughts.

Ha I just went and saw him 2wks ago he had referred me to my 3t MRI he found compressions on both sides but I dont have typical TN symptoms so im scared to jump right into surgery id be interested to hear more about your experience as i might be going through surgery with him

Greetings,

I had a craniotomy and a MVD surgery at Florida Hospital near downtown Orlando. I love Dr. Field! He was the first doctor to really listen to me and put me at ease (as opposed to try to push another medication on me). The surgery went well. I woke up pain free (and have been pain free since August of 2011). My trigeminal nerve was compressed, plus a bunch of other nerves were out of order (whatever that means).

While I have been pain free since surgery, the first four weeks after surgery were hard. I thought it would take me a couple of days to recover, but spent three days in the hospital in a fog that I started to come out of on day three. I also got tired very easily. For example, on the day I was discharged I went to the pharmacy to get prescriptions, but could barely stand to wait for my prescription to be filled. Also, sleeping comfortably was very difficult the first few weeks. I wasn't use to being so tired and helpless those first few weeks. I went back to work after taking off a full month, but could have easily used another two weeks or so.

Today I'm doing just great, but still feel the effects of the surgery. I couldn't sleep on my right side before due to aggravating the compressed nerve and still can't sleep on my right side now. The incision location is very sensitive and too much pressure is uncomfortable. I've also been dealing with tinnitus since surgery, which is exacerbated by headache, high blood pressure and alcohol consumption. Basically, anything that gives me a headache increases the tinnitus, so I must be careful.

However, I will take dealing with sensitivity on the right side of my head and the tinnitus as they are nothing compared to the pain I was dealing with before surgery. I had been taking the highest doses of meds recommended, but still did not have a good quality of life. I have an excellent quality of life now! :-)

JB

wow thats really great to hear!! I think if he coulda done my surgery that day he would have but i'm a lot scared because my pain is the 24/7 kind and intitally he even told me it didn't sound like i had tn. So i guess i'm guna try meds first which aren't working so well. why did he do a craniotomy? is that part of a mvd?

Yes...the craniotomy (a surgical operation in which a bone flap is temporarily removed from the skull to access the brain) was required in order for him to do the MVD.

HI Kiya, Glad to hear yo are diong well after your surgery. Do you know anyone in SE Florida thqt is experienced with. TN? I do not have a diagnosis yet but I think it might be ATN. Just want to go a nuero who is experienced with TN. If anyone can recommed a nuero in my area please let me know. Thank you!

Gizmo

kiya_b said:

Greetings,

I had a craniotomy and a MVD surgery at Florida Hospital near downtown Orlando. I love Dr. Field! He was the first doctor to really listen to me and put me at ease (as opposed to try to push another medication on me). The surgery went well. I woke up pain free (and have been pain free since August of 2011). My trigeminal nerve was compressed, plus a bunch of other nerves were out of order (whatever that means).

While I have been pain free since surgery, the first four weeks after surgery were hard. I thought it would take me a couple of days to recover, but spent three days in the hospital in a fog that I started to come out of on day three. I also got tired very easily. For example, on the day I was discharged I went to the pharmacy to get prescriptions, but could barely stand to wait for my prescription to be filled. Also, sleeping comfortably was very difficult the first few weeks. I wasn't use to being so tired and helpless those first few weeks. I went back to work after taking off a full month, but could have easily used another two weeks or so.

Today I'm doing just great, but still feel the effects of the surgery. I couldn't sleep on my right side before due to aggravating the compressed nerve and still can't sleep on my right side now. The incision location is very sensitive and too much pressure is uncomfortable. I've also been dealing with tinnitus since surgery, which is exacerbated by headache, high blood pressure and alcohol consumption. Basically, anything that gives me a headache increases the tinnitus, so I must be careful.

However, I will take dealing with sensitivity on the right side of my head and the tinnitus as they are nothing compared to the pain I was dealing with before surgery. I had been taking the highest doses of meds recommended, but still did not have a good quality of life. I have an excellent quality of life now! :-)

JB

I too have heard good things about Dr. Field also had the info related by him at an informal TN meeting in Tarpoon Springs, Fl. I was looking forward to meeting with him personally in his offfice, however, he does not take my Humana Medicare group plan, unfortunately! I retired from my job with a large financial institution with this insurance, and was very surprised he would not accept it.