MVD vs CK

Hi guys, do you know something about which surgery is better between Microvascular Decompression and Cyber Knife especially those who never had a surgery before?

Blesses for all of u :)

Thanks for answering Ro. I already schedule an MVD for march 24 but being honest, i didn’t know about CK until i knew about Jimmy’s CK and i kind of like it more, but I’m starting to do some research about CK to make sure that i picked the best one for me
Hugs

Ro ~ said:

hi Diana,
I would think the decision of which is better would depend on the individual need or best route to take.

Each person is so different ~

Are you looking into surgeries of sorts?

Hi Diana
I had the MVD surgery in May 2009. My neurosurgeon said with my case I needed to do MVD first because it is non evasive to the nerve. The Cyber knife is evasive and if you want the MVD after this, it may not work. He said with my age and my health I needed the MVD. I haven’t felt any nerve pain for nine months and it is wonderfull. This was my first surgery ever and I didn’t feel it was that much of a problem to recover. It did take time and I didn’t go back to work for 6 weeks.
Good luck on your surgery.
Connie

Hi Diana. Did you have the MVD? I would like to know how it worked. I had the CK done February 2010. I have a lot of numbness in upper right gums and teeth on the right side. Numbness too on right side of face. I have no real pain, which is a tremendous blessing, but I do get, what I call, small tremors in a couple of teeth. Its not real pain but sort of like a twitching nerve. Its very mild and only a couple times a day. My surgeon said he thought the numbness may go away in time. But even if it doesn’t its a good trade off for the pain. He said also, if it came back he would talk to me about MVD. He said he preferred doing the CK first because it was not invasive. Thats just the opposite of what Connie’s dr. told her. I read her comment to you. I would like to know how your MVD worked out.

Hi Diana! I had Gamma Knife, which is essentially the same as Cyber, July 2010. It worked great. I have had hardly any pain since the procedure. I am still on one med for now until the pain is completely gone. The difference is simply amazing. My doctor’s first choice was mvd because I am only 42 and the results tend to be more permanent. He advised against it though because I have a lesion on my brain stem which made MVD more risky and dropped the percentage of effectiveness. Gamma is said to last 5-8 years and then it can be repeated or MVD can be performed usually. I am very happy with my decision. Good luck making yours and your future health!

Hi Guys! thanks so much for your comments and wishes:) I did have MVD in March and it worked very well! I got the same numbness as you Jimmy but it went away in about 2 months after. The Doctor recommended me MVD because it was going to be my first TN surgery and based in my MRI he said it was going to be better to my case to separate the nerve from the vessels with a little teflon sponge. I got of medicines completely approximately 2 months after the surgery which was kinda hard to me because I started freaking out as if I were a drug addict! reason why i had to get of Carbamazepine little by little. I was pain free until 2 months ago. started to feel a toothache that expands to other 3 or 4 teeth sometimes, it is not a constant pain and it is not as bad as TN, Im not sure if it is TN because I went to the Dentist and he told me that my pain can be Bruxism. I’m crossing my fingers so it doesn’t get any harder. Still I’m very happy to have my life back!

Jimmy, my doctor never told me that MVD was invasive, I do think after going through all this process the same as Ro that the kind of surgery depends of the individual needs. I really hope you don’t need to have a surgery anymore!
Conny and Sharon, I hope you will be pain free forever!

Hey guys, I said my numbness went away but didn’t explain well. I did go away but not completely, I still have a minimal numbness in half of my chin and half of my bottom lip, it doesn’t bother me at all, I think i got in use to it

Diana Marcela Genther said:

Hi Guys! thanks so much for your comments and wishes:) I did have MVD in March and it worked very well! I got the same numbness as you Jimmy but it went away in about 2 months after. The Doctor recommended me MVD because it was going to be my first TN surgery and based in my MRI he said it was going to be better to my case to separate the nerve from the vessels with a little teflon sponge. I got of medicines completely approximately 2 months after the surgery which was kinda hard to me because I started freaking out as if I were a drug addict! reason why i had to get of Carbamazepine little by little. I was pain free until 2 months ago. started to feel a toothache that expands to other 3 or 4 teeth sometimes, it is not a constant pain and it is not as bad as TN, Im not sure if it is TN because I went to the Dentist and he told me that my pain can be Bruxism. I’m crossing my fingers so it doesn’t get any harder. Still I’m very happy to have my life back!

Jimmy, my doctor never told me that MVD was invasive, I do think after going through all this process the same as Ro that the kind of surgery depends of the individual needs. I really hope you don’t need to have a surgery anymore!

Conny and Sharon, I hope you will be pain free forever!