just got the date for my MVD, 7th Sept. Just over 3 weeks away. Have been suffering for just over 2yrs now, tried all the meds and have not had much success with any of them, have not had any periods of remission apart from odd days here and there, good days more than remission I think. Most days its just about manageable, have odd flashes of pain that drive me to my knees most days and at least once a week leaves me curled up on the floor crying in pain. None of the meds have completely controlled the pain, best results was oxcarzepine but was on max dose and i nearly did something silly during a very bad time so came off them, couldnt tolerate carbamazepine, came off that after less than a week.
Have been all around the houses, had the ususal severe episodes of depression but am in a better place now (currently off all meds) than since the start. Have seen 3 or 4 neurologists and 3 neuro surgeons, previous 2 on the NHS would not touch me or offer any surgical treatment even though on my 2nd MRI they could see a compression, both the surgeons stated that they did not think the compression was the cause of my pain and any form of invasive treatment could make it worse.
One of them suggested that the pain was idiopathic and has been caused by a recent traumatic event that i went through, no head injury or anything, basically made me feel like i was a headcase. Am waiting for an appointment with a phycologist for CBT.
my work have recently introduced private health care benefit and have seen a surgeon via BUPA at the Walton Centre in Liverpool which has a specialist neuro department and the surgeon I have seen there has stated an 80% chance of complete pain relief.
Initially i was over joyed to be offered this treatment and that i was being told such high odds of success, as every day passes and the big day approaches i am getting more and more nervous, never had an op or any kind before, talk about jumping in the deep end!
One of the pain management specialists i have seen have said be wary of surgeons as you often find they are willing to do surgery just because they are surgeons.
Gong back over all my notes and Dr letters and I must have had 4 or 5 differing diagnosis and am now doubting myself.
Just looking for some words of encouragement or reassurance.
Have been getting all my stuff in order, spoken to my pension provider to ensure my death benefit is paid to my wife if the worst happens and updated my details with my employer for death in service etc, happy thoughts I know.
Should i get another opinion and go with the majority? Best of 5?
Im torn between ; - i will just have the op, whats the worst that can happen (I might die) or its not that bad i can cope (until im lying on the floor crying and then im tempted to do the op myself)
Thanks for reading, any comments appreciated.