Metalic taste

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered before but for those of you who have ATN with numbness as well as pain, do you also get a metallic taste in your mouth? I'm hugely numb right now and the taste is awful! Please tell me thatbi'm not alone.

catwoman,
I used to have a metsllic taste in my mouth but it went away when I had my teeth pulled that had silver fillings…Probably not much help…

Stephanie, what did you do where the teeth were removed? Did you do implants or just left it without a tooth? I ask because so far, I have had 5 teeth removed and am about to have another one shortly. I am rightfully afraid of implants, even before reading of some of the nightmares LWTN members have reported. I am scared enough to extract that remnant of a tooth on my TN side.

stephanie said:

catwoman,
I used to have a metsllic taste in my mouth but it went away when I had my teeth pulled that had silver fillings.....Probably not much help..

Hi Catwoman,

I had the metallic taste. I have bilateral ATN. It started in a tooth on the left side and radiated to other teeth on that side. I had this terrible, strong metallic taste that seemed to come right from that tooth. It drove me nuts. Once my medication started working that taste went away. So strange. I haven't had it since.

I posted a discussion on this last year and it seems that it is something many of us have.

http://www.livingwithtn.org/forum/topics/metallic-taste-in-mouth

Hello shadow ,

Well I have been fighting with my bad teeth for 2 years now..I'm a night time tooth grinder and have cracked several teeth .I also had 5 root canals go bad over the years..So I had all but 12 teeth extracted..Most under sedation with an oral surgeon.A couple with a regular dentist..I would never get an implant.(that is just MY feelings on them)I already suffered nerve trama on my bottom left side jaw with a wisdom tooth removal.So I'm not taking any chances..I'm in the process of getting partials top and bottom..BUT, I really want to extract the rest of my teeth to get full dentures because I'm concerned that the clasps on the partials will pull on my anchor teeth and cause pain..I do not need anymore of that:(..But I'm terrifed of getting the bottom teeth extracted....Ido not want my pain to increase..i just had an upper premolar extracted last Thursday and I'm okay..So that is where I am right now...My appointment to see the dentist for impressions is on the 24th..Please let me know how your extraction goes....))) It will be fine..Take care...

shadow2 said:

Stephanie, what did you do where the teeth were removed? Did you do implants or just left it without a tooth? I ask because so far, I have had 5 teeth removed and am about to have another one shortly. I am rightfully afraid of implants, even before reading of some of the nightmares LWTN members have reported. I am scared enough to extract that remnant of a tooth on my TN side.

stephanie said:

catwoman,
I used to have a metsllic taste in my mouth but it went away when I had my teeth pulled that had silver fillings.....Probably not much help..

Catwoman

Well I have a totally different answer for you. YES I have the metallic taste and I have it a few times a year. At first I thought it was my teeth but then that got ruled out. Dentist said it was a sinus problem. I went to the ENT he checked my sinus cavity for infections and found that I have a small leak in my sinuses that leaks spinal fluid. When it drains down my throat it leaves the metallic taste but when it drains out my nose then it is just like water dripping but is really slick. I know too much info right. But anyway it turned out that mine had nothing to do with teeth it is spinal fluid. They do not worry about mine right now because the hole is so small and most of the time it will seal it's self off if I will just lay down and try to stay in bed or on the sofa for about 2 days. If it gets really bad it will require surgery. I have managed to learn what it tastes like and feels like so I try to go back to bed as soon as it starts. I don't know if this helps any or not but it is just another place to look if working on your teeth don't help.

Good luck I hope you get it solved. It is a horrible taste to have.

Jrulz1 thanks for the reply. I've had the taste on and off over the years from as far back as the 1990s when I was misdiagnosed. This time around it latest about a week and was replaced with a peppery taste which is new! I hate pepper!! I always refer to this condition as the gift that just keeps on giving.

I had the metallic taste when I was on tegretol and lyrica. It seemed worse on extended release tegretol. As the med combinations I was on were changed, I experienced additional issues with my sense of taste. Things just tasted bad in general. Dairy foods tasted like they had gone sour, fresh vegetables tasted moldy. The final blow for me was when they added neurontin to my daily meds. At that point I lost my sense of taste completely, which was extremely depressing. After I had mvd in March, I was weaned off all of the anticonvulsants and my taste gradually turned to normal. I'm still trying to recover from the surgery

but at least I can taste food again.

i get the metallic taste too but mine is coming from my saliva glands at first i thought it tasted like blood but there is no blood....i get this with or without medsso far nobody knows why ...i also get days when coffee tastes like tea and everything tastes like something else,,,the metallic taste mostly comes with swollen face on the jawline and ceased jaw