Meds for face pain

I've been getting some pain relief with a combo of 10 mg amiltriptyline and gabapentin. I had about a week of mild pain, but now the pain is stronger again. Should I increase one of these drugs? If yes, which one? or perhaps both?

Thanks for any experiences you can share.

Rissmal

I use a combo of 15mg amiltriptyline with 200mg of lamictal. It has worked for a year and a half. This is not to say it won't wear off, and there are seasons I have had "twinges," however it has been great. Side effects have been minimal for me.

nerular said:

I use a combo of 15mg amiltriptyline with 200mg of lamictal. It has worked for a year and a half. This is not to say it won't wear off, and there are seasons I have had "twinges," however it has been great. Side effects have been minimal for me.

Thanks for your reply. Rissmal

Rissmal,Hi! Sorry to hear that your pain is worse. I only use Homeopathic meds after having no help or getting side effects from Pharmaceuticals. I have had ATN X 23 yrs. and it could go on hours,days,or weeks-horrible! And I had to work with it! A couple of years ago I found Homeopathy-I have been trying different things as it suits me. Right now I take

Swansons Nerve pain Relief,Swansons Migraine Relief,Swansons Earache Relief every day-sometimes I take Boiron Sinusalia if I am "stuffy" or having allergies-it contains Spigelia for TN problems.These are very inexpensive and safe, and I have had great help with pain and even some apparent healing overtime.It might be worth a try,for some comfort at least!

erin said:

Rissmal,Hi! Sorry to hear that your pain is worse. I only use Homeopathic meds after having no help or getting side effects from Pharmaceuticals. I have had ATN X 23 yrs. and it could go on hours,days,or weeks-horrible! And I had to work with it! A couple of years ago I found Homeopathy-I have been trying different things as it suits me. Right now I take

Swansons Nerve pain Relief,Swansons Migraine Relief,Swansons Earache Relief every day-sometimes I take Boiron Sinusalia if I am "stuffy" or having allergies-it contains Spigelia for TN problems.These are very inexpensive and safe, and I have had great help with pain and even some apparent healing overtime.It might be worth a try,for some comfort at least!

Thanks, Erin, for your kind reply. I will look into those; I hadn't heard of them before. I don't know how you can work. I just retired (2 years early) because I can't manage work and the intense pain of TN.

Best, Rissmal

Sorry you are in pain. Please do not take our medicine advice. The interaction between drugs can cause serious problems or side effect, so you shoukd consult your GP or neuro about this Q.

I a, just now settling into a combo of drugs (ami and carba), and my GP told me how I should scale it, and gave me a max dosage where I should stop scaling and come back to her. Maybe your doctor can do that? Then you don't have to come back every time.

It took 4 months for me to find the right combo of just those two, due to side effects. Please be patient. We are here to support you.

Tineline said:

Sorry you are in pain. Please do not take our medicine advice. The interaction between drugs can cause serious problems or side effect, so you shoukd consult your GP or neuro about this Q.

I a, just now settling into a combo of drugs (ami and carba), and my GP told me how I should scale it, and gave me a max dosage where I should stop scaling and come back to her. Maybe your doctor can do that? Then you don't have to come back every time.

It took 4 months for me to find the right combo of just those two, due to side effects. Please be patient. We are here to support you.

Thanks for your reply, Tineline.

Throughout this whole process, I have had to rely on myself to find answers. I have had multiple doctor visits, including dentist, oral surgeon, GP, neurologist. None of them knew much about TN. By reading articles here, on Pub Med, and reading the book (striking back), I've been able to ask them to prescribe

certain medications. I finally found a combo that seems to work (much like yours: ami and gabapentin). It's just that after a couple of weeks of level 2 pain, I had some more challenging days. I didn't know which drug to increase, so thought I'd ask for suggestions here.

Finally just experimented....increasing the gaba seemed to work.

I appreciate your answer, though. It's nice to read about people with similar problems and to know I'm not alone.

I do have an appointment with a neurologist who is knowledgeable about TN. Even though my GP wrote STAT on the referral, my earliest appointment time is Feb 2016.

Since I really can't bear to live in level 8 pain until then, I've had to figure out my own answers.