Medication

Just wondering what medications.has worked for you guys so I can suggest to my dr. I have been on nortriptyline, topiramate, verapamil, zonisamide I just don’t want another medicine that’s not gonna work

For the classic (typical) form of TN with its lightning strike volleys of electric shock pain, the primary medications often tried are Carbamazepine, Trileptal, and Neurontin. Amitriptyline and Nortriptline are often offered for the atypical form of TN that presents as 24-7 achy, burning, throbbing pain. If you don't respond well to one medication at a time, a combination of meds may be trialed, including Baclofen, Phenoytin, Lyrica, Cymbalta, steroids, muscle relaxants, tranquilizers and perhaps opioids. There are over 70 combinations that I've heard of. And I know of no reliable way to predict which is going to help most consistently for a given patient. Patient response to all of these meds is highly variable.

Sorry to rain on your parade, Alicia. But this isn't an exact science.

Regards, Red

Thank you. I understand that medications very on the patient I just feel like I don’t know what to think when it come to the medicine is it working or is it that I’m just not getting the pain anymore how am I supposed to know

If you were in pain and that pain level decreased after you tapered up on a medication, then it's a safe bet that the med is probably responsible, Alicia. Although patients do go into spontaneous remissions, especially in the initial stages of facial neuralgia pain, a positive response to meds is widely considered to be a confirming sign for the diagnosis of facial neuralgia or neuropathy.

Regards, Red

Thank you for letting me know I am still trying to to understand everything