Loss of sensation

Dear all,

My ATN (TN II) is somehow strange. The symptoms are in branch 2 and 3 of the right nerve. The strange thing is that I have complete loss of sensation in the same area that I have the pain. Although the pain is triggered by stress and anxiety, but the loss of sensation is permanent. The times I am free from pain I usually experience silly numbness in the same area, this numbness usually converts to pain after the stress trigger.

Have you experienced something like that?

My medications:
--------------------
Cymbalta

Lyrica

Xanax

Wellbutrin (just for depression not for TN2)

Have loss of sensation on half my right side from just under my eye to the tip of chin. Doctors say this is permanent. I have TN2 pain. Constant for almost 3 yrs.

I also am experiencing this problem. I wondered if you have experienced loss of taste? It is very annoying and makes eating NO FUN. I have TN2 and have had two Cranis pain was never “gone” but now the pain in my right eye is returning with a vengeance.

I am sorry for that Lauren, so what was the condition before this loss of sensation (same area of mine)? and was there any apparent reason or trauma?

Can I know the medications you are on now?
Lauren(pebbles) said:

Have loss of sensation on half my right side from just under my eye to the tip of chin. Doctors say this is permanent. I have TN2 pain. Constant for almost 3 yrs.

No Judi, I don't have loss of taste , or at least don't recognize it, did this loss of taste begin at the same time your loss of sensation began? and what is the area of loss of sensation? Mine if like Lauren, it is from under my eye till my chin tip.

I haven't get what is the Cranis pain? Is this related to eye pain?

I hope to get solution of this bothering pain. Can I know the medications you are on now?
judi said:

I also am experiencing this problem. I wondered if you have experienced loss of taste? It is very annoying and makes eating NO FUN. I have TN2 and have had two Cranis pain was never "gone" but now the pain in my right eye is returning with a vengeance.

I take nortriptyline 40 mg daily and gabapentin 500 mg daily. The loss of sensation area also had very bad burning and cramping stabbing pain. The loss is when you touch my cheek area it feels strange. Also inside my mouth. My face feels like someone is grabbing my cheek. As if they are going to pinch it. Tightness always.

So Lauren, was there reduction in this dull pain/feelings with the medication?

No! Not one bit. But I can tolerate the level one pain. It tightens than loosens a bit. Its just such a weird thing. Sorry probably not what you wanted to hear.
PainFighter said:

Hi Painfighter..I have partial numbness on the right side of my face from the pain of TN. Burning and aching. After I had Gamma knife procedure done I lost sensation on right side of my tongue immediately and then a couple of months later the loss of taste on my tongue ( right side also). I take amitriptyline now for the burning mouth pain and aching and Gabapentin as backup. I do pretty well with it. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone with the numbness thing... I have to chew slowly or at least, I try to so I don't bite my cheek or lip or tongue. It's taken me a lonnngg time to get used to not having the feeling on that side. Accepting it...But, I have.. I am not going letting TN win. Hang in there. Wishing you pain free days.

Min

Hi Min,

It is really unpredictable to find someone in this world have what I have and really can understand and feel my suffering. I happy to be in this forum between you as my family, yes we are one family and what gather us is a very strong tie which is the terrible pain :)

I wonder if you have any pain free time after the Gamma knife?

I hope you a pain free day

Min said:

Hi Painfighter..I have partial numbness on the right side of my face from the pain of TN. Burning and aching. After I had Gamma knife procedure done I lost sensation on right side of my tongue immediately and then a couple of months later the loss of taste on my tongue ( right side also). I take amitriptyline now for the burning mouth pain and aching and Gabapentin as backup. I do pretty well with it. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone with the numbness thing... I have to chew slowly or at least, I try to so I don't bite my cheek or lip or tongue. It's taken me a lonnngg time to get used to not having the feeling on that side. Accepting it...But, I have.. I am not going letting TN win. Hang in there. Wishing you pain free days.

Min

Sorry Lauren for being very late in reply. I hope you are now bit better ?

Lauren(pebbles) said:

No! Not one bit. But I can tolerate the level one pain. It tightens than loosens a bit. Its just such a weird thing. Sorry probably not what you wanted to hear.
PainFighter said:

Hi Pain Fighter, I did have 3 good years without the severe burning pain, but still had some aching pain. Then the burning mouth pain came back, But ..not nearly as severe. It is now controlled with 50 mg per day of Amitriptyline, and 300mg Gabapentin, and 50mg Topamax. I am relatively pain free. Just minor stuff here and there. But for now, I am good. :) I hope you can get to feeling better too.
PainFighter said:

Hi Min,

It is really unpredictable to find someone in this world have what I have and really can understand and feel my suffering. I happy to be in this forum between you as my family, yes we are one family and what gather us is a very strong tie which is the terrible pain :)

I wonder if you have any pain free time after the Gamma knife?

I hope you a pain free day

Min said:

Min