Lamictal... not a good idea? skin issues

A little rant: First, the military neurology department in San Diego is slow and not patient-friendly. I have been on topamax for a while and it worked at first but has slowly become useless at the highest dose doc is willing to go. Also, I developed a rash on my chin and below my nose; mild but annoying. So, time for new meds. On-call doctor prescribed Lamictal, but first said go back on Tegretol (which I took before topamax and eventually didn't work either and still isn't doing anything for me) until the rash disappears, then start Lamictal so that we are controling for variables. After researching Lamictal... I don't get it. Why prescribe me something SOooo skin reactive if I've had a rash reaction to topamax (and also penicillin, a long time ago). I've never been on Neurontin, which is way more common, why not that?

Anyone's opinion on Lamictal would be nice, especially with regards to skin/rash issues. Also, am I right about wanting to refuse Lamictal and ask about Neurontin?

I have been taking Lamictal for 8 months now as well as gaberpentine. I had a severe skin rash from tegretol and I am also allergic

to pencillian, but I have never had a negative reaction to Lamictal. Give it a try, I think you will be happy with the results. good luck.

I also take Lamictal and have never had any problems. Good luck! It’s so hard to find the right meds.

Your rash is from Topamax right not Lamictal.

I'm just double checking as a rash from Lamictal can be serious even life threatning. You can also develop a benign rash from Lamictal. My understanding is that if you develop a rash from Lamictal it must be checked out immediately, i.e. go the ER.

I don't know if you would be more susceptible to rash if you've had rash with other meds. like you, I'd be concerned.

I've been on Lamictal for about 2 months. I take 200 mg. so far so good. dulls my pain somewhat and thus far no side effects.

with Neurontin I had intolerable side effects although many people have success.

Makes no sense why doc would advise you to go back on Tegretol when you tried it and didn't work.

I wish you all the best.

I know we are all different with our med needs, but for me Neurontin (Gabapentin) has been a real life saver. I have had to increase dosage over the years and increase or decrease depending on TN. Have some break through pain, but nothing compared to before it. For me the side effects are mild and pale in comparision to it helping me live without constant pain. Sorry to hear it is tough to get the care you need, know it gets frustrating, but keep on pushing, you deserve relief! Take care,

Betsy

Yes watch out for small percent that get bad reaction for ER check up

Hi,

I just started Lamictal with addition to the medications I was previously on. I am having great relief from it, so if you can try it would I feel it be worth a try. I never had a rash, but I know some people do.

Hope you find something that works