Just went to dentist that set off the pain

I just went to the dentist and it set off the pain. I cancelled my next appointment. Husband think I make up the pain and isn’t attentive or just tired of hearing it. thank you for knowing what the pain is like. If it weren’t for this site, I think I’d feel so terribly lonely. I don’t get on the site much but I know its like an old friend waiting for me. Everyone sharing makes me feel so lucky that others understand my pain and know it isn’t made up and how badly it can hit.

Know exactly how you feel, though my husband is there for me, I know friends think my pain is nothing. I have given up saying much to anyone, but I do feel very down this pain is ongoing without relieve unless they have experienced it they do not have a clue. I am not going to the dentist again, my teeth are fine why put myself through that just to be told my teeth are ok. One friend said to me the other day, you want my shoulder, it is really painful. This site is good because we are all in the same boat. Well that’s my moan for the day, I don’t want pity from outsiders just understanding.

Thank you for replying and letting me whine a bit. My doctor doesn’t even understand the site and what we get from having friends like this. I hope you have a painfree day and days but if not know that you have brightened my day by responding to my pain. Sincerely. Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth. I’ve just had a major setback after a trip to the dentist. I had been doing really well with TMJ exercises for my jaw and physiotherapy as my shoulder muscles were tight and the nerves in my neck were irritated. I hadn’t had nerve shocks for two months so I thought it was fine to have a dental checkup. I needed a filling just where the nerve sparks but I had an injection to numb it. The dentist also offered to grind bits off my teeth where I grind at night. As I was numb I said “go ahead” and sat in the chair for an hour with my jaw open. Five days ago the nerve pain started off again and I’ve had it each day ever since. I sat and cried in despair when it happened but my physio is more upbeat and believes that things will settle down again. So I’m doing my best to keep my teeth healthy [care had lapsed] so that I don’t have to go back before my 6 month check.

Elizabeth said:

Thank you for replying and letting me whine a bit. My doctor doesn’t even understand the site and what we get from having friends like this. I hope you have a painfree day and days but if not know that you have brightened my day by responding to my pain. Sincerely. Elizabeth

Hi Pat,

I took my neurotin to stop or ease some of the pain. I took a lot. I would have taken demarol (sp) if I’d had it. I have had bad teeth all my life. I floss my teeth three times a day or more if needed. I was born with teeth that did not fuse for some odd reason. My sisters have beautiful teeth and never floss. LOL. I just got the bad teeth gene. I still have two good legs and arms so I’m still doing great. My teeth hurt all the time due to this disease. When he says see if it hurts after we do something, I think to myself, i wouldn’t know the difference. I hurt every day of my life.
I’m sorry about your pain and i do hope your horrible pain will stop. I hate that we can’t go get dental work without feeling worse pain than the average person and more pain than we experience each day anyway. Let me know if it eases and thank you for sharing with me. I am sorry you had pain too. I’m going to look into the TMJ exercises on the internet and that might help the burning in my ears and throat and zips in my head. It can’t hurt can it. Take care.

Elizabeth, how nice to hear from you, it’s good to know how someone else is feeling. The TMJ exercises are taken from the book “Taking control of TMJ” by Robert O Uppgaard. I’m glad I did them but it’s a rocky road as the underlying muscles go nuts once the overlying muscles strengthen. It’s often tough as you need to even up the jaw i.e. not always eating on one side. However I was almost back to a normal life before the dentistry. Let me know how you get on & if I can help.

Elizabeth said:

Hi Pat,

I took my neurotin to stop or ease some of the pain. I took a lot. I would have taken demarol (sp) if I’d had it. I have had bad teeth all my life. I floss my teeth three times a day or more if needed. I was born with teeth that did not fuse for some odd reason. My sisters have beautiful teeth and never floss. LOL. I just got the bad teeth gene. I still have two good legs and arms so I’m still doing great. My teeth hurt all the time due to this disease. When he says see if it hurts after we do something, I think to myself, i wouldn’t know the difference. I hurt every day of my life.
I’m sorry about your pain and i do hope your horrible pain will stop. I hate that we can’t go get dental work without feeling worse pain than the average person and more pain than we experience each day anyway. Let me know if it eases and thank you for sharing with me. I am sorry you had pain too. I’m going to look into the TMJ exercises on the internet and that might help the burning in my ears and throat and zips in my head. It can’t hurt can it. Take care.

HI again,

I’m sending the name of the book to my brother-in-law in Charlotte. He was going to have a large dental bill from grinding his teeth. I’m going to the book store today and look it up or order it. Thank you for giving me the name of the book.
The one back tooth hurts and I think Oh maybe this will be a root canal. Then it stops so I know it isn’t going to be.
You did help me already. thank you for listening to me and responding so kindly. Thank you for sharing your pain too. I do hope your teeth stay healthy and at six months checkup you don’t have cavities or any problems. I hear they make guards for your mouth too.

Be careful of the teeth guards Elizabeth. They have to be correctly fitted and positioned otherwise they can make things worse. I had a set of them from a previous experiment with tooth whitening. They dentist checked them & said they were still suitable to wear at night to prevent tooth-grinding but I found that they made the TN worse. Good luck.

Elizabeth said:

HI again,

I’m sending the name of the book to my brother-in-law in Charlotte. He was going to have a large dental bill from grinding his teeth. I’m going to the book store today and look it up or order it. Thank you for giving me the name of the book.
The one back tooth hurts and I think Oh maybe this will be a root canal. Then it stops so I know it isn’t going to be.
You did help me already. thank you for listening to me and responding so kindly. Thank you for sharing your pain too. I do hope your teeth stay healthy and at six months checkup you don’t have cavities or any problems. I hear they make guards for your mouth too.

Elizabeth said:
HI again,

I'm sending the name of the book to my brother-in-law in Charlotte. He was going to have a large dental bill from grinding his teeth. I'm going to the book store today and look it up or order it. Thank you for giving me the name of the book.
The one back tooth hurts and I think Oh maybe this will be a root canal. Then it stops so I know it isn't going to be.
You did help me already. thank you for listening to me and responding so kindly. Thank you for sharing your pain too. I do hope your teeth stay healthy and at six months checkup you don't have cavities or any problems. I hear they make guards for your mouth too.