Is there a medication that doesn't typically cause weight gain?

Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline both caused me to gain weight (among other things) and I rapidly lost it when I stopped both.

Topamax was hard for me to handle (made me feel like I was going totally nuts)... other than that, is there a medication known not to cause weight gain? If Topamax is the only option, were some of you able to get used to it after struggling with it initially? (I lasted 3 days)

I have TN2 atypical. Thank you for your help

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. Please anyone?

Michelle, I got off of Nortryptiline and switched to gabapentin and my side effects have decreased dramatically.

I lost all the weight I gained on nortryptiline and amitryptiline. I have been on Gabapentin for just a handful of weeks and lost the 14 lbs. I gained on the others. I hope it can work for you, I know we all react differently to different meds. Good luck!

Brad, I think Lyrica is one of the most fastest acting drugs. Try that. You also have to give medication time to get used to your body. It might take a month or so before your body tolerates it completely. I wouldn't discard a drug based on side effects. I have been on every drug and they all have side effects but if I had to choose between side effects and pain, I would choose pain relief.

Thank you Laura, I have not tried Lyrica and I will put it on my list (my Doctor has a couple others he wants to try). Do you take Lyrica? Also, have you had different medications work for you and then stop working?

Absolutely. I have tried honestly I think about 12 different drugs and antideppressants. I have had TN 2 for 12 years now. I just don't know how much more I can take. The drugs only work for some time. I think Lyrica worked the best because of no break through pain but it wore off after a while. Of course these drugs have side effects. I am small frame so they really pull a punch when I use them but it is better than being in pain. You need to do what's best for you. Maybe your pain will go away after some time???

Laura, I can't imagine 12 years. I only have 18 months under my belt. I am rooting for you. Do you have any experience with Cymbalta? That is the nexts drug on my list if Gabapentin doesn't work more consistently.