Is head position a trigger for anyone?

Hi, I am trying to figure out if I really have trigeminal or if it is a non-specific neuralgia possibly caused by cervical vertebras that are compressed. For me my pain is deep within the ear and it is a constant deep burning crushing pain that never stops. However, over the summer for three months it did disappear and three days ago it came back after once again popping a vertebra in my neck. The other thing that I have noticed is that the pain comes and goes in intensity throughout the day but it is triggered by the position of my head and by the vibration of a car ride. Now that it has started back up I have not been able to sleep on the right side or able to lay flat, because doing either of those things will set the pain off really bad, so is this typical for trigeminal or not? Does anyone else expereince this?

My neuralgia is also effected by the position of the head during some periods. Mostly, tilting the the head forward has a tendency to cause the neuralgia, but other things also happen. For example, some times I must sleep on one pillow, while in other periods two pillows pilled over each other do the trick. However, all other symptoms of my neuralgia seems to be quite classic type 1 TN. I did a neck CT and it was clean, while my brain MRI shows a blood vessel compressing the nurve. So, my best guess is that the position of the head effects the contact between the blood vessel and the nurve.

Dear Jolie,

Stop guessing and living in pain! If it is a vertebra in the cervical spine...that can be corrected. A friend of mine just had surgery for that and is pain free. Have you had an MRI or Ct of your neck?

Bending over is a trigger for many members here. It starts my zaps if I don't take care.

Yvonne, I have had several MRI's and CT's and they show that there is cervical compression fractures with slightly bulging disc's but two neurosurgeons have said that from the MRI's they do not see any nerves being pinched in there and even if they were they would not cause pain up in the ear I would feel pain down my arms or in my legs not up, so they will not do surgery because according to them I do not show that my compresssions are causing any problems. They say if I had nerve pain down arms or down legs or weakenss in any extremeties then they would consider surgery but because I do not have these symptoms they will not even consider it. However, I will tell you that I seen an ENT who said he has seen cerical compressions cause pain to go up like this and he believes that is my problem but I can not get a surgeon to believe me, so I am not sure if they are right or if the ENT is and in the mean time I am in terrible pain with no meds that work or that I can tolerate.

Yvonne said:

Dear Jolie,

Stop guessing and living in pain! If it is a vertebra in the cervical spine...that can be corrected. A friend of mine just had surgery for that and is pain free. Have you had an MRI or Ct of your neck?

Jolie,

I am so sorry! I have been blessed with doctor's who listen and help me. i can't imagine the frustration of being in this kind of pain and not having the support and medical intervention of my doctors! I am so new to this myself,

but I would keep looking for a doctor that "truly listens and understands". Prayers and good vibes coming your way. Yvonne

Bending over is also a trigger for me but unless it is really painful I just try to work through it.
I do Pilates 3 times a week with a physiotherapist and she has been great at trying to help me find efficient ways to move that will not stir up my pain.

Hope everyone is having a pain free weekend
Hugs Trish

I also have body positioning triggers. I cannot pull or push anything with my left arm. Of course, I am left handed so this adjustment has been a learned behavior. Bending over is another as well as tilting my head to the right. I am learning as I go as well. I hope everyone who has this terrible condition will find relief soon

YES.

i sympathize with all you wrote. execpt the part the the TN went away for a a few months.

i noticed at night certain position defienetly make it worse. also certain positioning of my LEG (when i sit and embraces my leg) - can trigger the pain worse. the doctors said there is NO connection...but i'm not sure if to belive - sometimes it seems doctors really don't know at all about this condition.

the question is - what does that mean ? and what to do with this information

"my best guess is that the position of the head effects the contact between the blood vessel and the nurve." !

Moran, this is part of my theory too !!! it explains the connection between the two.

i also have shown a blood vessel on the MRI. but since mine started after a dental work - i'm not sure if the blood vessel is the cause.

are you going to operate on your case ?

by the way - are you by any chance from israel ? you have a Hebrew name.

Moran said:

My neuralgia is also effected by the position of the head during some periods. Mostly, tilting the the head forward has a tendency to cause the neuralgia, but other things also happen. For example, some times I must sleep on one pillow, while in other periods two pillows pilled over each other do the trick. However, all other symptoms of my neuralgia seems to be quite classic type 1 TN. I did a neck CT and it was clean, while my brain MRI shows a blood vessel compressing the nurve. So, my best guess is that the position of the head effects the contact between the blood vessel and the nurve.

I have no neck injuries but have exactly what you're describing. I have tried PT but that only made it worse. I've just had to try to get skilled at predicting and preventing attacks and being careful with movements. If you find out anything more about this issue please post!

Vibration and head position are triggers for me as well. Bending over causes pain almost always. Extremely frustrating as it limits so much.

Rainbow, do you know if you have ever had a neck injury? or if you have any arthritis in your neck? I am just wondering how many of us with these problems also have neck injuries or arthritis of the cervical area, just wondering if the cervical area may actually be where the problem originates from and doctors are not paying attention to this, it would make total sense then why vibration or head position would set off this problem. for people who have never had a head or neck injury I wonder if they have arthritis that they do not even know about that is doing this to them, anyway, thanks for responding.

rainbow said:

Vibration and head position are triggers for me as well. Bending over causes pain almost always. Extremely frustrating as it limits so much.