(invisible symptoms) glaring results

The boss is getting frustrated with me and my invisible problem. He's got a point.

Even though I've been mostly pain free recently (thank God), I'm medicated and that causes me to miss things I shouldn't miss: things that he says, things that I should write down, things a customer says. These meds mean I can't really understand the entirety of a concept...I just drift off or gloss over things that I just can't seem to get my mind around. Often these days, I just can't seem to engage mentally.

And that's a problem. For me and the boss.

I have to make a big presentation today with big corporate partners to a big potential customer. There's a lot riding on this and I've been working toward this for months.

I'm not taking my meds until after the meeting and walking the tightrope between inviting the pain in and trying to give myself the best chance of "being there."

Craig, I wish you lots of luck. I hope things turn out wonderfully for you…with no drastic pain interference. Yes, I know this really sucks, and you are doing the best you can, given the circumstances you are faced with. Remember that, no matter what the outcome. Peace, Min

Best of luck Craig.

I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I am a public practice accountant working in partnership with my mom. She has had to check my work very carefully the last 6 months. Usually she relies on me to be the error checker. Add that to juggling client appointments and it has been a mess.

We have been fortunate that we have flexibility. We sat down together and re-shuffled some of our roles and responsibilities making me a bit less public and providing me with more time to review my own work before submitting it. I do high end work in the morning when my mind is fresh and I don't take appointments toward the end of the day when my mind is a dog's breakfast.

I hope there is something you can work out with your boss. If there is anything you can do - do it. Taking a step back and keeping a job is certainly better than the feeling you might have at failing at your job and being let go.

Also - it is very hard on your body to play around with your meds. Going on and off to do a presentation is serious. Perhaps someone else should present even though its your work - you can be there to answer questions.

I hope everything works out. I hope my suggestions are ok. It's just what I did in a similar situation.

Elaine

Craig - the other thing I did was go back to the neurologist and seek some different meds with less side effects. Time consuming but the results seem to be worth it---so far.

Also - make sure your boss fully understands the situation. This is no different than being an employee with a disability. Some accomodations for your condition should be investigated and tried.

Elaine

Thank you all for your kind wishes and thoughts. Just a quick update.

The meeting went well. There was another person with me who jumped in from time to time and, most importantly, kept good notes. My notes are worthless and my recollections are as disjointed as scenes from a French film on the cutting room floor.

Glad to hear it went well Craig. I like your French Film analogy!

Elaine