Intraoral nerve block at dentist to help break pain cycle

Good Morning

My dentist has offered to do a routine nerve block without ephedrine today to see it would break up the pain cycle. I am having a small hole filled on the other side that does not require anesthesia, thus the appointment.

We spoke of an alveolar block due to intermittent tongue numbness and pain under tongue with too much chatting or a mental nerve block due to the lip, chin, under chin and angle of jaw pain. My pain manifest in different ways daily.

My original pain was brought on by either intubation or by hyperextension of neck during unrelated surgery.

Any thought on either block to try or not to do at all? I’m uneasy about it, but am wondering if it would jar the nerve into proper conduction. I can’t afford to have more pain.

THANK YOU!

Hi Kathy,

I'm sorry to hear you're in so much pain. A few weeks back I visited a dentist who mentioned that his colleague, who's said to be one of top dentist in my city, "cured" a few patients with nerve blocks in their mouth. I'm not sure how exactly it works, if it's something temporary etc., but I'm hoping to be able to ask more questions on my next visit - the idea seems interesting.

Hope you'll feel better soon x

I would directly ask Red what he thinks - he is the researcher extrordinaire - message him!

Oldriska - please report if anything interesting on that.

Oldriska said:

Hi Kathy,

I'm sorry to hear you're in so much pain. A few weeks back I visited a dentist who mentioned that his colleague, who's said to be one of top dentist in my city, "cured" a few patients with nerve blocks in their mouth. I'm not sure how exactly it works, if it's something temporary etc., but I'm hoping to be able to ask more questions on my next visit - the idea seems interesting.

Hope you'll feel better soon x

My pain is also under the tonhue.. in the back of the toungue like a pin is stuck there.. sometimes it's like i can't put my toungue to touch the gums. like something there needs to be put out.

i've done several nerve blocks (inside mouth (and outside) didn't work.

2 times been to dentist with severe pain that lasted thruoght to the toungue.. he has done a Mandibular Block (inside mouth) - the place was numb - but pain kept on).

if the source of your pain is some nerve pressed by the neck - logically i don't think an inside injection would help.

but in our place -i would try almost everything.

by the way - everytime i was done an injection inside mouth - the place of the needle injection really hurt me after the numbness wore off. (anyone else had this ?)

Thank you for your reply and we sound similar in pain. Talking makes my tongue go stiff and painful...very isolating. I did not try the block, but we talked more about one as I was the one who asked. My dentist is 71, very seasoned and kind, and I originally went to him as he advertised for face pain. He was frank and said it could not help or may. He said in his career has had one TN patient that got a block and was pain free. Two others the same. In addition, three without TN that had some numbness issues, but all resolved. I really wanted to know if the theory that a prilocaine injection can reset or break the cyle of pain was a possiblity. I never get a break from the pain and have had hives with Neurontin and possibly Tegretol, so meds are scarce. I hope you do better

Nir Morita said:

My pain is also under the tonhue.. in the back of the toungue like a pin is stuck there.. sometimes it's like i can't put my toungue to touch the gums. like something there needs to be put out.

i've done several nerve blocks (inside mouth (and outside) didn't work.

2 times been to dentist with severe pain that lasted thruoght to the toungue.. he has done a Mandibular Block (inside mouth) - the place was numb - but pain kept on).

if the source of your pain is some nerve pressed by the neck - logically i don't think an inside injection would help.

but in our place -i would try almost everything.

by the way - everytime i was done an injection inside mouth - the place of the needle injection really hurt me after the numbness wore off. (anyone else had this ?)

Cleo, Please read my last reply. I was the one who approached the dentist and am wondering if a block would break or interrupt the cycle of pain. I did not have it, but truthfully, if I had to have a tooth filled on that side, I'd have to have one, so not sure it is such a bad thing to try. My pain is so bad under tongue, lip, chin...I've had panoramic, so jaw is in place. Thank you for caring

Cleo said:

A dentist is not qualified to treat nerve disorder. but, he is qualified to understand which exact nerves are involved here. for he would not be offering 2 blocks. Have you been checked for a dislocated jaw joint?