I need to get a crown on a broken tooth

Sadly a old filling came out yesterday on my facial pain side of my face. The dentist put a temporary bonding in place and now my facial pain is spiked. I believe in order to have the tooth worked on I should be totally sedated. Has anyone had dental work done successfully and what did the dentist to to numb the area or were they sedated?

I have had conscious sedation since 2011 for cleanings. March 2014 I had two crowns, a tooth pulled and fillings. I had chemo in 2011 that damaged my teeth. All the work done in 2014 I do not remember. I went in, they started the IV and I ‘woke’ up at home. I do know they gave me mevacian shots not novacain shots once I was ‘under’. I get all my cleanings at a periodontist while sedated. It costs me 375.00 each time. Insurance does not cover. This office coordinates my appointments with the dentist that is next door. If I need a filling the dentist comes to the periodontist office and does it while I am under for my cleaning. They do this to save me money of needing sedated again. I count myself lucky to have this option available and these two men willing to help me. If you can afford it get sedated, ask for mevacain for your numbing shot in the gum. It’s not supposed to be as irritating to our nerves. I am in central Michigan.

I, usually, take 200-400mg of Tegretol prior to going to the dentist. I am in remission but still fear that dental work might trigger something. That’s why I take the Tegretol as a precaution.

Hello Anne 4. I had dental treatment yesterday. I go to a gentle dentist. I ask for swallowing breaks regularly, and if I need a break I ask for it. I roll up a small towel and put it behind my neck and back vertically for extra support. And I often hold under my jaw on that side. I am not in a financial position to be sedated. I meditate and concentrate on my breathing. And wipe the calendar for a couple of days after because it does flare up the pain. Take it easy and good luck. Carry on. WW

Two months after I was diagnosed, I broke a tooth (of course on the same side as my TN!) and had to have it extracted. Instead of sedation, I opted for laughing gas. I was perfectly happy with that during the procedure (I literally laughed my way through and out the door!). I had a flurry of pain for around a week and a half after the procedure. Then when I had the implant inserted, I skipped the laughing gas, but unfortunately the numbing medication (I can’t recall the name, but it wasn’t novicaine, which I was told had epinephrine and could increase the pain) wore off while the surgeon was stitching me up. They tried taking a bite wing x-ray, but my mouth was in so much pain by then I had tears rolling down my face, so they opted for a panoramic instead, to be sure the implant was inserted correctly. I’d suggest laughing gas for dental procedures, in addition to an extra dose of whatever medication you’re taking. And don’t be surprised if you have more pain for a while afterward. Just increase your medication. Best of luck. Hope it goes well! Meanwhile, I, too broke a crown recently and have to have it replaced tomorrow, but luckily it’s on the other side of my face this time!

Was there a Novocaine injection? Is the tooth that needs crowned on the TN side? If so, I would try to find a dentist who uses anesthesia. I had a dentist who used that 30 years ago, but don’t know about now. You’ll probably need to ask several dentists before finding a licensed one. I looked it up and found these 2 articles:
Intravenous sedation. This form of pain and anxiety control involves injecting a sedative into a vein of a patient’s arm or hand. This approach is usually reserved for patients undergoing extensive dental procedures or for the extremely anxious patient. Dentists need to monitor the oxygen level of patients receiving IV sedation and may need to give such patients additional oxygen during the procedure. With IV sedation, the patient is awake but very relaxed. If you think you may be interested in IV sedation, ask your dentist if he or she is licensed to administer intravenous sedatives (this is probably the best type in your case).
General anesthesia. With this technique, the patient is “put to sleep” for the duration of the procedure. Patients requiring general anesthesia can be treated in the dentist’s office, but more likely are treated in a hospital setting. This is because this type of anesthesia has risks, which include a sudden drop in blood pressure and irregular heartbeats, so the patient needs to be closely monitored. For these reasons, general anesthesia is typically only used if extensive dental work is needed and when other forms of sedation or pain control are not sufficient to conquer fear. If you think you may be interested in general sedation, ask your dentist if he or she is licensed to administer this form of sedation.