Hypercusis

Please messsage or comment me if you suffer from Hypercusis, I would like to connect you with a fellow sufferer.
Thanks for reading.

Hi Jackie, I had this!
I say “had” because it has gradually gotten better for me…still have issues with certain high tones but not nearly as crazy as it was 11 mths ago. Mine started around the same time as the vertigo! When I had my hearing tested, i had a 20% deficit regarding my sensitivity to certain tones. We almost switched from regular cutlery to plastic,
Tell me about your experience!

I had to look this baby up. When I did I knew immediately that I have been dealing with this. Noise has never bothered me but now it has become the enemy and I am constantly seeking out quiet places. All since this nasty disease. Glad to know that I am not the only one. />

Mimi said:

Hi Jackie, I had this!
I say “had” because it has gradually gotten better for me…still have issues with certain high tones but not nearly as crazy as it was 11 mths ago. Mine started around the same time as the vertigo! When I had my hearing tested, i had a 20% deficit regarding my sensitivity to certain tones. We almost switched from regular cutlery to plastic,

Tell me about your experience!

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=hyperacusis&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEcQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.entnet.org%2FHealthInformation%2Fhyperacusis-increasedsensitivity.cfm&ei=NtiXUPmON-qw2QW0toDoAg&usg=AFQjCNFYkPQi7TD83ylU8Z067U3D93WIHg

I have it. Can't stand loud noises on my right ear. And I have tinnitus too. I read your link Mimi. I have also lost high pitched tones and have had several hearing tests too. I've lost some hearing in my left ear. I am scared to go back and have another hearing test done as I think it may worse now. The last one was done three years ago..

Omg I so have this! I thought is was just part of my tinnitus and nerve damage … Didn’t even know.

I just knew that the wonderful members here would respond to my plea! Thank you so much. I am passing a link to this to my friend! xx

Hi Ladies

My name is Marla and this is my 3rd time with this...gone way down 2 times but am having a very rough time this time around...it's come along with Bi lateral Tn-well depends on what neurologist u talk to-some say go see a psychiatrist. Suffering physically and mentally as well as emotionally with little family and friends supports....the best this is not to isolate yourself but I have slowly done that in fear of noise...I also have nerve damage in left ear with little hearing-tinnitus is usually what comes along with hyperacusis...every noise bothers me-refrigerator, water running, tv, peoples voices-u name it, it hurts!!

Suggestion...don't get a hearing test-no purpose in it...really I am telling u...no reason for it!!!!

Mimi how did u overcome hyperacusis...please tell me your experience...anyone else as well....trying not to lose my mind!!!

Marla

Jackie

Thanks for posting....thank u!!

Marla

Hi Marla,
The first 3 months were the hardest… Eventually ( based on my personal research) I chose to start letting myself try and hear the very things that would make me cringe/hurt…slowly but surely it became easier. Now almost a year later since onset, I rarely experience it.
Mind you mine doesn’t sound as bad as yours…mine was certain tones, cutlery and dishes, emptying the dishwasher, certain music, talking on the phone was horrendous, I could only do it if I held the phone a few inches away from my ear…

My Hyperacusis started around the same time I developed Vertigo & Imbalance, I also had ear infections in each ear and had just finished a round of antibiotic ear drops which I later learned are ototoxic and can cause Hyperacusis.
I too have bilateral TN.
I never experienced tinnitus.
The fear of noise is overwhelming, and it is normal to want to isolate and avoid all things that irritate.
I hope you can find some relief…I took baby steps and just tried not covering my ears everytime I knew their would be some…it wasn’t easy but it worked for me. I still am sensitive to certain tones but I’m way better than I was.
Huge (((( hugs )))) to you Marla, good luck!
Mimi

Anything loud sirens saws dishes people talking loud music loud I have to wear an ear plug in my right ear a lot of times. It comes and goes now but for years at the onset of TN I had to wear it. My neurologist said it was a combination of TN and anxiety. The other day I had my hands full and I was outside and a fire truck went by and it was windy out and I didn't know wether to cover my ear or my face sooo I eventually ended up goin for my earrrrrr. Succccck.

Hello All,

I've had tinnitus since my teen years--both ears; loud, obnoxious and totally distracting. I was also very sensitive to sounds in a certain frequency range, and especially freaked-out if a given tone was sudden and/or unexpected-Yikes!

I never realized there was a term for that particular component of tinnitus...a component that was related to the ring/buzz/roar/pulsing of tinnitus...It was a whole new piece of my aural anomalies that I never broke out and isolated or ever knew a name for even existed: Hypercusis...Knowing that, brings into focus why I've been having so much "trouble" in certain social situations. I was thinking that it was all just physical tinnitus; never making the personality/behavioral connection.

And, for that, I thank God for these on-line forums; invaluable.

Thanks Jackie and All.

Blessings, Rick

Sorry All,

I meant to include this link with my comment just above:

http://www.hyperacusis.net/

Rick, I had never heard of it either…until I started experiencing it. Such an uncomfortable feeling, no real words to describe…I thankfully have never had tinnitus, I can’t imagine.
(( hugs)) Mimi

Hi Rick

Check out hyperacusisnetwork.com GREAT INFO. I experience a lot of the symptoms on it-quite frightening! Family and friends just don't understand...if i didn't send this to everyone please do that...don't know what I am doing. LOL I've had it 3 times feel free to reach out to me any time

Marla

Rick Bruce said:

Sorry All,

I can hardly believe this, I can’ stand loud noises either or been in a room with a lot of people talking anymore. I thought that this was just a reaction to the meds along with the ringing/tinnitus in mainly my left ear.
Mimi, I’ve just read your link which was very interesting and informative.
And well done Jackie for posting the question about this, it seems to be a hidden condition of those who suffer with TN, the more links which are made to this condition the better it may be to both manage and understand it a bit more, if that makes sense- sorry my thought process isn’t working fully today!

Hi Jackie,

Here's a cut/past copy of my comments about your Hypercusis topic discussion. Please feel free to ask your friend to contact me...

Reply by Rick Bruce on Monday
Delete

Hello All,

I've had tinnitus since my teen years--both ears; loud, obnoxious and totally distracting. I was also very sensitive to sounds in a certain frequency range, and especially freaked-out if a given tone was sudden and/or unexpected-Yikes!

I never realized there was a term for that particular component of tinnitus...a component that was related to the ring/buzz/roar/pulsing of tinnitus...It was a whole new piece of my aural anomalies that I never broke out and isolated or ever knew a name for even existed: Hypercusis...Knowing that, brings into focus why I've been having so much "trouble" in certain social situations. I was thinking that it was all just physical tinnitus; never making the personality/behavioral connection.

Thanks Jackie and All.

Blessings, Rick

Rick take a look at hyperacusisnetwork.com There are different forms of hyperacusis....since u have different frequency range problems, I think it's called something else...I really suggest u take a look at site-VERY informative.

Marla

Rick Bruce said:

Hi Jackie,

Here's a cut/past copy of my comments about your Hypercusis topic discussion. Please feel free to ask your friend to contact me...

Delete

Hello All,

Thanks Jackie and All.

Blessings, Rick

I'm sorry Rick u do have the link to that site..what u have is hypersensitive hearing of specific frequencies which is one of the four types of hyperacusis...u probably know this all ready...lol sorry..

Marla

mglen32 said:

Hi Rick

Check out hyperacusisnetwork.com GREAT INFO. I experience a lot of the symptoms on it-quite frightening! Family and friends just don't understand...if i didn't send this to everyone please do that...don't know what I am doing. LOL I've had it 3 times feel free to reach out to me any time

Marla

Rick Bruce said:

Sorry All,

Hi Rick,

My friend is Marla! I did not want to name her without her permission. You seem good friends now, I am pleased!

Rick Bruce said:

Hi Jackie,

Delete

Hello All,

Thanks Jackie and All.

Blessings, Rick