Has anyone been denied a job due to thier use of pain medications

Hi everyone. I haven’t been online for a while due to working long hours and struggling with this pain. Anyways I’m going for a great job but I’m afraid when they find out I’m taking pain meds that they will not hire me. I really don’t want them to even know but once I do my drug test there is no hiding it. I lost my last job because I kept getting attacks at work and my boss happened to run in to me at the time. There’s deffinatley no hiding the pain when they happen. Who wants to work anyone in pain right. This job I’m going for is a big company and I finally have an opportunity to make some decent money for my family and its probabley going to get ruined like the rest of my life due to pain. Any suggestions?

Recommendation: talk to a lawyer about the Americans with Disabilities Act and how it affects hiring practice. Depending on the meds you're taking, and the duties of the job you are seeking, you might qualify under the rules pertaining to "reasonable accomodation" for dealing with disability in hiring practices. I don't know if she's still around, but we also have a former disability lawyer among the members. Lisa (I am right) was her handle. You might look up her profile page and see if she's still monitoring it.

Regards, Red

Hi Jerry.

I am also in the same boat as you right now. I take my pre-employment drug test tomorrow for a new job. I haven't worked for almost 2 years so this is a big deal for me. I have already disclosed that I take opiates and have had my prescribing doctor write a letter stating the medications I take which I will provide when information is requested regarding my prescriptions. My coctor will not include ANY other information about my health or other medications. Only that I take opiates as prescribed for a medical condition. I don't think you need a letter like what I have asked for. Only to bring your prescription bottles when asked, that's what my potential employer told me. I requested a letter from my doctor as an additional way to prove I take opiates for a medical condition.

I hope all goes well. I am in a unique position as my direct supervisor is a friend. I am still concerned about potentially being denied employment due to meds but I am doing research related to what Red recommended in his post so that I am as educated as possible regarding this potential issue.

I wish you luck on your job. I'll post again and let you know what happened. Johanna

Thanks, Red. I am in the same boat as Jerry and have done some reading on the ADA. It's good to hear that I am on the right track. Johanna
Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

Recommendation: talk to a lawyer about the Americans with Disabilities Act and how it affects hiring practice. Depending on the meds you're taking, and the duties of the job you are seeking, you might qualify under the rules pertaining to "reasonable accomodation" for dealing with disability in hiring practices. I don't know if she's still around, but we also have a former disability lawyer among the members. Lisa (I am right) was her handle. You might look up her profile page and see if she's still monitoring it.

Regards, Red