"Go to Hell for the company"

Greetings TfrieNds! Years ago, I heard an old Mark Twain quote, “Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company”. What I’ve seen so far of the mutual care and concern for each other here makes his statement come to life because TN is Hell.
Actually, reading some of your stories, I’m hesitant to complain at all. I’ve got it easy (so far) in comparison to most of you, but here goes:

On November 2nd, I took a pretty mean fist to the face which left me with a black eye, some dense, fairly tender tissue in my cheek along side my nose and two completely numb upper front teeth. There was a good bit of inflammation and bruising but it seemed to heal up pretty well but the dense tissue by my nose only got a little smaller, less painful and moved down and over to the medial origin of my zygomatic arch. The two right side front teeth stayed numb as well.

As time progressed, I started to become aware of my teeth and thought an abscess was all I needed but I could not figure which tooth had the issue. Then, right before Thanksgiving, all of the teeth on my right side started feeling longer than those on my left, it seemed the lower had grown longer too. Thanksgiving was nice, good friends, food etc., ate my fill had a couple of drinks and started to feel ‘wrong’. At first I suspected overeating but as the evening wore on it seemed more sinus and tooth related.

After helping some with clean up & making Togo plates, I actually went out and sat in the car waiting to leave. My nose felt like it needed to be blown - not running or snotty but occluded. Riding in the car made me feel even worse, I was glad to be home.

The first thing I did was sat on the edge of my bed and blew my nose. I did not get up again until the next morning. The pain started in the classic sinusitis area under my eye and quickly progressed from there. I spent the better part of 2 hours literally writhing in agony. A friend called looking for help getting another fried who was stranded picked up and only a minute or two into the conversation I told him I couldn’t help, at all because I could not think or move. That is not like me!

Since that episode which is hard to describe because I was so bewildered by what was going on, I have had several other instances of having my chimes rung but not quite as extreme and for no where near the duration. Sensations range from one side of my tongue being scorching hot to my teeth both upper and lower feeling too long to feeling phantom water on my cheek to feeling I’ve been stabbed by a sharp pointy thing to TMJ tightness and quick pain to crazy electricity zapping around in my cheek.

And fear. I was scared of a fresh orange. It was super juicy and I worried if it torqued my jaw it would set off the fireworks so I only chewed on the left. Many nights I talk myself into brushing my teeth. One trip to the grocery store tripped me up so bad I had to leave for a few hours then try shopping again. Forcing myself to lie down at night is another challenge. Sometimes I fail and stay up all night if I think I perceive another episode hovering. These things are all part of normal daily life! (Heh, heh, normal.)

Thanks to those of you that were in the mood for a novelette and hung with me this far, I’m almost done.

Personally, I feel that looking to Big Pharma and any Gubmint alphabet agency for help is, well… These are the corporations that gave us Vioxx; that add rat poison to our water, as Hitler used in the Camps; that allow Agent Orange to be put on our food and IN the genetic DNA of our food, altering our RNA. In fact our food has become so toxic and devoid of nutrition I suspect it a culprit in our inability to recover from illness and injury and listening to drug commercials blows my mind when they rattle off the side effects. All drug companies have changed their goal. Instead of curing disease, they work to make adverse conditions ‘treatable’ and ‘manageable’. If they cured disease, they’d lose customers. Even more alarming, Big Pharma now makes drugs which induce conditions which will cause patients to become dependent on at least three more drugs within 10 years. I’ll step off of my soapbox now.

So far, what I have been doing is pretty unorthodox. When the more uncomfortable twinges start gearing up, I jump on a heavy duty hard core chore. Splitting wood, clearing land, moving furniture, sweaty, endorphin kicking hard labor. So far, this has kept it mostly in check. Sometimes when I take a break it will hit but as long as I remember to breathe and wait for the slightest lull and then jump up and get back on it, the pain will ease off. Topically I am using pure lavender essential oil and plan to start adding it to my diet. Lavender makes nerve pain shut up - proven fact. I’m also using a strange salve containing snake oil but that just started today. I’m also looking into the molecular make up of the mylan sheath that insulates the nerve bundle and plan to encourage my body to produce more of what ever it is. And I will be adding Arnica Montana topically and orally once I make it to the health food store. Finally, I am looking into reflexology but don’t look much forward to those treatments as they are very painful and will have a direct effect on the affected area.

Well, that’s all folks! Feed back? From what I understand, even if tomorrow I become completely a symptomatic, the person that damaged that nerve, in effect murdered me.

Whatever works for you!!!!!!! Seriously.I've been at the TN end of the journey, in fact that's where I started but for the past year and some it's been all ATN which has been getting steadily more.......unpleasant. I do take the yukky bad drugs I'm afraid because deep down ( or not so deep) I'm a huge wuss. Having said that, I've given up one of them because it just doesn't work.

May I thank you too for a really entertaining and well written post!! Good luck with your journey.

Cool! I’m glad you enjoyed my rant. Droll, dull writing bores me almost as much as reading. Love your moniker too, catwoman.

Your change in symptoms makes me wonder if TN2 doesn’t mask as TN? Were it not for the 2 hour whammy, I’d have never found this site and it was certainly a Jerry Lewis style poster child for TN. Once I realized how pernicious this condition is, I spent a full day researching other similar conditions and diseases looking for a better fit. Finally got a grip, decided to stop wasting my time and settle in. I’m no Cinderella but I always thought glass slippers would be crappy to dance in… Understatement!!!

catwoman said:

Whatever works for you!!!!!!! Seriously.I've been at the TN end of the journey, in fact that's where I started but for the past year and some it's been all ATN which has been getting steadily more.......unpleasant. I do take the yukky bad drugs I'm afraid because deep down ( or not so deep) I'm a huge wuss. Having said that, I've given up one of them because it just doesn't work.

May I thank you too for a really entertaining and well written post!! Good luck with your journey.

See that's the kicker, isn't it. You look for a diagnosis, finally get one and think "Sweeeet! I have a name for this! Wowza!!" then you read up and desperately want to back peddle, thinking " This is waaay too nasty!" In the end you just have to settle in to it.

It took me a fair bit of reading up before I found that ATN can and does take a wander into TN territory and hang out for awhile. I'm thankful for the fact I'm not there now, I'm not a huge fan of crying while you're trying to eat!

Yay! You just saved me a fair amount of research!! Thanks.
Kicker? Yes Ma’am! Right in the teeth!