For those on the medicaion merry-go-round..... I've compiled a list - Print it off for later resource if needed

From here - from around the world - meds that people have found success with.

Some people on one med – lots on more than one med at a time

—many have a generic and many misspelled here!

Some taken every day – some taken as needed.

Some are topical –most are oral—

These are all meds I’ve grabbed and made a list of what people have posted / that people have had success with from around the world. What works for one person – seems not to work for another many times.

I HOPE this helps !!!

Lamictal

Trileptal.( oxzacarbabine) / Tegretol

Lyrica

Gabapentin, same as Neurontin

Trimonil,

Zebinix,

Loratab

Tylenol 3

Ultram/Tramadol

Baclofen

Amitryptiline

Ativan

Ketamine

Moraphine

Carisoprodol

Propranolol

Lidocaine mouthwash /Nose spray / topical cream

phenytoin sodium,

topirimate,

alprazolam

Lidocaine patch

Klonopin

Dilaudid,

Oxycodone

Cymbalta

Cannibis

nortriptyline

methadone

Diazepam (valium)

Diflunisal

Trazadone

Vicodin

For pain, as needed: dilaudid, toradol, valium all at once.

In ER: IV dilaudid + toradol + benadryl (synergistic to enhance effect of other two)

Compound RX from compound pharmacy where they mix it for you:

Here is the ingredients and percentages: Ketoprofen (toradol) 20% Gabapentin (neurontin) 6% Lidocaine 2.5% Baclofen (muscle relaxer) 2% Cyclobenzaprine (Flexiril) 2%

A salve of 6%gabapentin, 10% Ketamine, 10% Lidocaine (I mix it with the cannabis salve). This does give me some relief.

- maybe you can request this combo salve w/out the cannabis from your pain docs - it's pretty benign and non-opiate based.

“ I do have a medical cannabis card, and I'm having the best luck with the cannabis salve - I cannot tolerate the side effects of it ingested or smoked - however they are now growing strains with low THC but high cannaboid levels, as studies have found that these are also active agents for pain relief.”

If you have any that I haven't mentioned - feel free to add to it!!!

bump

I’m sorry people didn’t list what worked for the different types of face pain… Just meds that worked. I would take the list to your most trusted neuro!

1 Like

Where do you get the cannabis salve? Medical MJ is legal here in OR, but I didn't know it came as a salve. Just thought everyone smoked it.... and I didn't want to go there.

Wherever you buy edibles and mj prescriptions I imagine…ask a a pharmacist?..I would eat the brownies and cookies when my state gets it!

Not Again said:

Where do you get the cannabis salve? Medical MJ is legal here in OR, but I didn't know it came as a salve. Just thought everyone smoked it.... and I didn't want to go there.

You might also add depakote and zanaflex. And for ER 600mg IV solution (ordered by my neurologist because he said narcotics dont always help with nerve pain. It helped me alot when I had to go to the ER)

Now that I have my grand kids out of my little remaining hair, I'll try to start analysis of the data we've collected on medications for ATN pain. Dancer's consolidated list overall gives me a leg up on the project. Thanks, Dancer...

Regards, Red

Find your local Compassion Club if you have them down in OR. You tell them what kind of pain you have and the knowledgable ones will suggest something. many, many different strengths and varieties. There are many ways to take cannabis. Even oils, tea, vaporizers. Also a pharmaceutical drug called Sativex. />

Not Again said:

Where do you get the cannabis salve? Medical MJ is legal here in OR, but I didn’t know it came as a salve. Just thought everyone smoked it… and I didn’t want to go there.

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can find.

Bellalarke said:

Find your local Compassion Club if you have them down in OR. You tell them what kind of pain you have and the knowledgable ones will suggest something. many, many different strengths and varieties. There are many ways to take cannabis. Even oils, tea, vaporizers. Also a pharmaceutical drug called Sativex. />

Not Again said:

So that’s where you disappeared to! I’ll add those two meds she mentioned

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

Now that I have my grand kids out of my little remaining hair, I'll try to start analysis of the data we've collected on medications for ATN pain. Dancer's consolidated list overall gives me a leg up on the project. Thanks, Dancer...

Regards, Red

Levetiracetam (Keppra)
Cytotec 200 ( taken as a stomach protectant with Baclofen and Topomax)
Oxycodone Fast-Tab 5-10

Thanks for putting this together!

OMG. Keppra....that drug made me an emotional wreck and so paranoid that I had a security system put into my house and yet stayed awake all night with the phone in my hand.....and I had a 100# Giant Schnauzer living with me at the time! Anyone else have bizarre paranoia from Keppra?

Okay, so your comment NA sent me straight to wiki and I am pasting the the adverse effects here because I want to bring something up about vitamin B6.

Serious side effects may include depression, hallucinations, suicidal thoughts, seizures that are worse or different, fever, sore throat, signs of infection, double vision, itching, rash, swelling of the face. A study published in 2005 suggests that the addition of pyridoxine (vitamin B6) may curtail some of the psychiatric symptoms.[7]
A rare side effect of Levetiracitam is a pins and needles sensation in the patient’s legs, similar to neuropathy.

So my comment about B6 is that I started taking it as 5P5 in the morning before food with my other meds, without missing a day, and after a couple of months I felt an improvement in how well I tolerated - not Kreppa - but gabapentin.

Anyone else taking 5P5?

I also seriously would add 70-80 % dark chocolate in small squares throughout the day. I swear it keeps my serotonin levels steady, better than something like cymbalta. Just a thought.

What is 5P5 please?

Vitamin B6 (P5P)

Kc Dancer Kc said:

What is 5P5 please?

Why the dark chocolate?

Bellalarke said:

Okay, so your comment NA sent me straight to wiki and I am pasting the the adverse effects here because I want to bring something up about vitamin B6.

Serious side effects may include depression, hallucinations, suicidal thoughts, seizures that are worse or different, fever, sore throat, signs of infection, double vision, itching, rash, swelling of the face. A study published in 2005 suggests that the addition of pyridoxine (vitamin B6) may curtail some of the psychiatric symptoms.[7]
A rare side effect of Levetiracitam is a pins and needles sensation in the patient's legs, similar to neuropathy.

So my comment about B6 is that I started taking it as 5P5 in the morning before food with my other meds, without missing a day, and after a couple of months I felt an improvement in how well I tolerated - not Kreppa - but gabapentin.

Anyone else taking 5P5?

I also seriously would add 70-80 % dark chocolate in small squares throughout the day. I swear it keeps my serotonin levels steady, better than something like cymbalta. Just a thought.

Dark chocolate (at least 80% cocoa) helps boost serotonin levels and gives you a happy feeling, helping with that low we sometimes get as a side effect of some of our meds.

Huh. I must be weird...chocolate never gives me a happy feeling, whether it's dark or milk.

I get my dark chocolate at the health food store, it’s pure, natural cocoa. Not like hershey bars