Episodic treatment

I'm wondering if anyone take a particular med for when they have a spike in pain.

After slowly increasing for a period of 12 months i'm on 800mg of tegretol per day and it seems to be very effective and most of the side effects have dissapated. However from time to time I get a spike in activity generally lasting 3 or 4 hours.

Taking extra Tegretol won't work because it is the controlled release type. I'm wondering if these spikes could be treated with Epilim or Gabapentin which I understand is short acting, particularly Epilim.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated, BTW I seem to tolerate most meds well.

Thanks

I was put on lyrica along with my tegretol. But in my case I was put on that also, after my tegretol wasn’t as effective for my pain.

Lisa said:
I was put on lyrica along with my tegretol. But in my case I was put on that also, after my tegretol wasn't as effective for my pain.

Hi, I was given Tramadol for breakthrough pain when I was on 800mg Tegretol XR, it helped with the pain, but knocked me out and then I would get a hangover type headache. But if you tolerate meds well, it could be something to bring up with your doctor.
Mimi

Thanks Mimi, could you tell me what the tramadol dose was ? I do have this as well but only use it in small doses which does not do much.

Mimi said:

Hi, I was given Tramadol for breakthrough pain when I was on 800mg Tegretol XR, it helped with the pain, but knocked me out and then I would get a hangover type headache. But if you tolerate meds well, it could be something to bring up with your doctor.
Mimi

Yes it is curious and frustrating that for many the Tegretol benefit seems to fade over a period of months. Yet presumably when used for epilepsy or other disorders this is not the case, why does it have to be different for pain, grrrrrrrrrr. Eventually i will probably have to switch to Gabapentin or Sodium Valproate but i would like to draw out the Tegretol for as long as possible.

Lisa said:

I was put on lyrica along with my tegretol. But in my case I was put on that also, after my tegretol wasn't as effective for my pain.

I used lidocaine patches