Do I need to see a Neurologist

My GP diagnosed Type 1 TN after prescribing Carbamazepine and having positive results. I have experienced 3 pain cycles thus far and the Carbamazepine has resolved the pain each time. do I still need to seek out a Neurologist?

If so does any one know a good one in Washington State?

Hi James, I would recommend seeing a Neurologist, most are familiar with TN and the various meds and treatments and it’s always good to have as much support & expertise as possible.
Have you had an MRI?

Are you getting blood work done regularly? On Carbamazepine ( Tegretol) it’s important to have this done. I do it every 3 months. I see my neurologist every 3 months as well.

Have you checked out the “Find a Doctor page” ?

Hope your pain stays away! Mimi

Did you look at doctors tab above!.? I see you have TN1.

Sometimes have to drive further for one with enough TN EXPERIENCE.

You can float for a while without a neuro, but good to get one ready when you
Want to try several meds.

Or would need neurologist …

Within first five years is best time to get MVD surgery…90+% chance of remission
ONLY with best MVD experienced neurosugeon .

TN is progressive and eventually meds stop working
or side effects get to where you have no life.

Get STRIKING BACK BY DR KEN CASEY,… Lots of info and options…Our bible here

I hated meds after one year, flew to Michigan, and he did my MVD…

year two…no pain. Was in hospital two nights and we drove home. Slept two weeks.

Learn, read, ask repeat!

If you ever want MVD, do not get cyber or gamma first.

I just wanted you to know, you may have to think of options of treatments.

There are people out there , on meds for life, but quality can go down.

This was a message of hope and education, not doom.

MOST neurologist would give you MRI to rule out MS or brain tumor. Sometimes but rarely, this is why a small percentage needs an MRI. regular MRI will only rarely show your nerve compression.

Keep posting!

I did have an MRI and it came back normal; however, I have heard that it often does unless it is read by a Neurosurgeon. As for the blood tests I was scheduled for one but I was in remission at the time so I hadn't taken any Meds in 2 months...I think I jinxed it!

Thanks for the advise I'm looking in the Seattle area for a Neurologist.

Mimi said:

Hi James, I would recommend seeing a Neurologist, most are familiar with TN and the various meds and treatments and it's always good to have as much support & expertise as possible.
Have you had an MRI?
Are you getting blood work done regularly? On Carbamazepine ( Tegretol) it's important to have this done. I do it every 3 months. I see my neurologist every 3 months as well.
Have you checked out the "Find a Doctor page" ?
Hope your pain stays away! Mimi

MRI to be sure to find compression is a Fiesta MRI=== google to see if one in your area