Different types of shock/pain/spasm symptoms

I have two different and quite distinct types of shock which I am attributing to trigeminal neuralgia but I wonder if I am mistaken on one of them…

I have the classic searing electrical shock with instant and sharp pain lasting a brief moment. Feels like being stabbed or shocked.

I also have a more shuddering stuttering shock with less but still significant pain, leading for 5-10 second and equally alarming. I describe this to others as what I imagine it would be like to be tazered. This has become more prominent over recent days.

I wonder if the latter is more of a spasm and could in fact be caused by similar pressure on another nerve causing a haemofacial spasm and not trigeminal neuralgia.

Does anyone else believe they experience both?

I plan to revisit my gp for a referral next week after an initial visit earlier this week. Just wanting to be as clear a possible with my symptoms when I do.

Appreciate any thoughts

Both of the kinds of pain you describe would generally be regarded as typical Trigeminal Neuralgia. There is a related neurological problem called "hemi-facial spasm" which is often traceable to vascular compressions of the 7th cranial nerve, but which generally is associated with visible twitching of the facial muscles, most often without pronounced pain. But this latter medical entity doesn't sound to me like what you are describing.

I will leave it to other patients to share their own experiences.

Regards and best,

Red Lawhern

Thanks for the swift response just trying to get on top of all this as best as possible so I know roughly what I’m dealing with here.

Hi Ian,

I have pain on my tongue that I describe as a spasm. That is how it feels. Like a pulsating, stabbing, burning, tazored feeling. It isn't actually spasming but the sensation is overwhelming. It will usually start with a ping and then fan out and fizz and vibrate. It lasts from 20 seconds to a minute and it stops me in my tracks. I hate it.

One thing that I find frustrating is how difficult it is to actually describe this pain properly. There are no words for these sensations!

Jane

Several (15-30) times a day i get the lightening bolts through my skull entering the right cheek just under my eye. The burning & twisting on the right side are constant usually early afternoon it starts getting achy & spasms start in causing my teeth to grind. By early evening my forhead decides it wants in on the fun & starts spasming. My son is the one who noticed my eyebrows were streched up as high as possible. It took all to had to get them to relax & they literally just slowly went right back up. Evenings are the worst, once i am tired my neck spasms on the right side everything flares into a pain party with lights, smells, & sounds. I recently (last 6 months) started getting TN like lightening bolts starting at the base of my skull shooting straight through my skull exiting my “soft spot” & my other pains are now crossing the midline. I told my neurologists she seemed uninterested & told me to take an extra imitrix. I am currently taking gabapentin 800 x4 per day, baclofen20mg x4 , tegritol 100mg per day& imitix as needed.

Jane I completely agree is is very difficult to describe but I think here we all understand roughly what the pain is like and can recognise and relate what other people mean.

Jojo that sounds awful. I thank my lucky stars that my symptoms seem relatively mild in comparison to some of you.

I had my first neuro appointment last night and learned a few things, but confirmed that I have TN on the V1 nerve.

I have an Mri booked and a follow up appointment to try and see what’s going on.

Luckily I have been in remission for about a week now, long may that continue!

Ian thank you for your kindness :slight_smile: I am glad to hear you have Neuro & MRI scheduled. Dont loose hope buddy apparently we are strong enough. Wishing you peace

JoJo,

Not sure it apllies to you, but having read you state neck spasms, then maybe.

http://www.livingwithtn.org/page/cervogenic-model

Greetings, hope you remember me...I am also member of AO and BMS on FB! It is nice to see you here! You see I had Eagle syndroem surgery and it takes time for recovery...still so sore specialy with weather changes! I am going very soon abroad for ecsecive exsams and tes ts...because the symptoms I have are rely not only for BMS! I posted only one artycle under general about this Gallixa cream...which do help a bit with a facial pain to many people in BMS group! There I explained also about m symptoms! Thank you for listening and all the best Valentina (Zdravka)
Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

Both of the kinds of pain you describe would generally be regarded as typical Trigeminal Neuralgia. There is a related neurological problem called "hemi-facial spasm" which is often traceable to vascular compressions of the 7th cranial nerve, but which generally is associated with visible twitching of the facial muscles, most often without pronounced pain. But this latter medical entity doesn't sound to me like what you are describing.

I will leave it to other patients to share their own experiences.

Regards and best,

Red Lawhern