Quantcast

Living With Facial Pain

Dentist appointment

Hey everyone,
I have had trigeminal neuralgia for about 5 years, and experience it on both sides of my face, this past episode started last November and has continued; the longest stretch I have experienced. I take 200 mg of carbamazepine two times daily and also take medical cannabis, both help, thank goodness. That said, my teeth are a huge trigger and I will be going to the dentist to get some work done. They will be numbing one side of my face and I hope that it works, but I am concerned about the other side of my face getting triggered by the cold water and the contact. I’m wondering if numbing both sides of my face would work so I can get the procedure done without constant pain. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any idea how I can do this without crazy pain? Thanks in advance.

I always wear lidocaine patch on my face for all dental work. You can get them at a local drug store. I’ve had great success with them.

I doubt a dentist would numb both sides of your face. That can be very dangerous and cause choking. Ask your dentist what he recommends you do.

Hi
I’m sorry I can’t answer your question. I actually have a question for you. I also have TN and take carbamazepine, I have not tried cannabis. How exactly does it help?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Bels

I worked in Dentist office for 20 years. We have used nitrous oxide for this kind of condition as well as a sedative before. It seems to take the edge off . Most times it doesn’t totally relieve the pain but, it makes the procedure tolerable. Consult your Dentist…She will be able to help!

Hi,
I am a dentist with TN myself. There is no issue whatsoever with “numbing” up a patient bilaterally. You should eat a healthy mean prior to your appointment so you don’t bite your tongue or lip afterwards, trying to eat, that’s all. I myself do have to increase my Oxtellar for a day to get my blood levels up prior to any dental work on my TN side. You should ask your neurologist what dosage to take prior to dental work. Then quickly go back to the regular dose
So your body dose not get used to the high dose.