Cytotec

I have been on this med for 3 days with no real relief. I am also taking pain pills every four hours. Has anyone taken this for TN and if so how long did it take to kick in and control the pain. I was on Tegretol but had to come off because it was causing a rash on my body. Do you think I should call Neuro to ask. Any suggestions. Also I am using lidocaine pain patch with not much relief.

Cytotec is not among the medications often used in TN. The summary indications and use for the drug is abstracted below from rxlist.com. It's basically a GI tract anti-inflammatory drug.

Cytotec (misoprostol) is indicated for reducing the risk of NSAID (nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drugs, including aspirin)–induced gastric ulcers in patients at high risk of complications from gastric ulcer, e.g., the elderly and patients with concomitant debilitating disease, as well as patients at high risk of developing gastric ulceration, such as patients with a history of ulcer. Cytotec (misoprostol) has not been shown to reduce the risk of duodenal ulcers in patients taking NSAIDs. Cytotec (misoprostol) should be taken for the duration of NSAID therapy. Cytotec (misoprostol) has been shown to reduce the risk of gastric ulcers in controlled studies of 3 months' duration. It had no effect, compared to placebo, on gastrointestinal pain or discomfort associated with NSAID use.

-------------

If you're allergic to Tegretol, then you might find you better tolerate Trileptal or Neurontin. Alternately, the tricyclic antidepressant drugs also have a cross action against trigeminal neuropathic pain. You may need a different neurologist, because the last one doesn't appear to be prescribing from the best practice list for this disorder. Do you have ulcers? Or has the doctor indicated that you'll be put on a different anti-convulsant once the allergy has settled down?

Regards, Red

Red thanks for your reply. I read on this medication and read the same thing. I was confused as to why he prescribed this because there is no mention of using this for TN. I just changed to this Neurologist who is supposed to be the best one in town. I do not have ulcers. I did get relief from the Tegretol but just broke out in a rash. I hate to discontinue Cytotec but at this point, I am ready to go back and start taking Tegretol and put up with the rash. I have been in pain since last Wednesday. I called the pharmacist who stated that if Cytotec was going to work it would have controlled pain by now. I did call the Emergency Line for the physician and am awaiting a call from him. The Doctor said that if this didn't work we would try another medication but not tell me which one.

I would discourage you from using Tegretol after you have presented with a rash. There is a rare syndrome that sometimes develops with Tegretol that can be seriously disabling -- and most often the first symptom is that rash. So my suggestion would be to find another neuro or consult in a timely manner with the present doctor to identify an alternative to Tegretol.

Regards, Red

Just wanted to let you guys know that after a few painful days, the Cytotec as apparently kicked in and the pain is finally waning away. I haven't even taken any pain meds today. Red, I did speak with a pharmacist yesterday that told me that Cytotec is also given to relieve certain kinds of pain. I did recheck internet and found that. So far no side effects from medications. I will still speak with Neurologist tomorrow to make sure that this is what he wants me to stay on. Also the swelling in the left side of my face is starting to go down. Thank God, as I was starting to feel desperate.