Correlation? Sjogren's Syndrome and TN?

I posted earlier asking for information about coping with numbness after having a rhizotomy to end TN pain. I forgot to mention two things: a possible complicating condition; and coping with another possible outcome.

First, Alice has Sjogren's Syndrome, which mainly affects mucosal tissues throughout the body, but which we understand can also compromise the myelin sheath that insulates nerve fibers. My question: is the incidence of TN higher amongst the population that also suffers from Sjogren's?

Second, we understand the risk of anesthesia dolorosa being an outcome of a rhizotomy is in the order of 1 to 4% My question: is the risk higher for someone who also suffers from Sjogren's Syndrome?

We would deeply appreciate any information concerning any connection or correlation between these two conditions.

Art (& Alice)

SS can cause neuropathy, as you say it can damage the myelin sheath; there was a discussion on here a couple of months ago, with a few members having both. I have no idea whether the risk of anaesthesia dolorosa is higher though.

Is your wife a member of the Ben's Friends Sjogrens site too? If not it's a very supportive site as well.

I would agree with Jules that the Ben's Friends Sjogrens community might be a useful resource. There are a few indications in Internet sources (Mayo, Johns Hopkins among them) that Sjogren's can cause TN or Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia. But given that anesthesia dolorosa is largely a neuropathic pain due to damage done during surgery, it is unclear to me that the incidence rate would be any higher in Sjogren's patients than in others.

Still working on your original inquiry concerning after effects of rhizotomy.

Regards, Red

1 Like

Thank you, Jule; we will start participating in the Sjogren's group, too. Every bit of good info counts!

Art (& Alice)

Jules said:

SS can cause neuropathy, as you say it can damage the myelin sheath; there was a discussion on here a couple of months ago, with a few members having both. I have no idea whether the risk of anaesthesia dolorosa is higher though.

Is your wife a member of the Ben's Friends Sjogrens site too? If not it's a very supportive site as well.

Thank you, Red. I had sort of thought, as you've said, that Sjogren's wouldn't correlate, But if you run across anything that confirms this, please post.

Art (& Alice)

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

I would agree with Jules that the Ben's Friends Sjogrens community might be a useful resource. There are a few indications in Internet sources (Mayo, Johns Hopkins among them) that Sjogren's can cause TN or Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia. But given that anesthesia dolorosa is largely a neuropathic pain due to damage done during surgery, it is unclear to me that the incidence rate would be any higher in Sjogren's patients than in others.

Still working on your original inquiry concerning after effects of rhizotomy.

Regards, Red