Chest pressure part of GPN?

GPN started in Feb 2015 with raging sore throat, ear, jaw, tooth, neck pain. Pain and sensations seemed to move. Throat pain left and back of tongue numbness started. Ear pain left and then sensation that throat was being squeezed took its place. I can't believe I'm actually used to this sensation now... Some days still might have on and off pains in various locations. Chest pressure started a few weeks ago and is the predominant thing driving me crazy. Neurologist wasn't too concerned when I mentioned it as a symptom and I know vagus nerve can cause issues too, but has any one else had this? It lasts for hours at a time. Feels like 20-40 lb. weight is sitting on chest. Started Gabapentin last week and am now up to two doses of 300 mg and will move to 3 next week if needed. Gabapentin makes me feel so crazy spaced out, I'm hoping the side effects lessen. MRI of neck & head were clear. I have no cardiac risks, am 46, good diet, etc. Any ideas?

I had stomach issues, particularly at onset; I burp constantly, and have had chest tightness / palps, collarbone pain, etc. I’ve chalked it up to the vagus nerve.

How is your BP and heart rate? Mine is normally ok but has spiked up and down since I’ve had this. I had a 90 over 65 in early Feb , followed by 137 over 89 and similar 3 and 4 weeks later.
Tegretol seems to be helping me some. My BP last week for the pre operation physical was 104 over 72.

My MAIN complaint is the squeezing in throat. It's not just one side, is yours? When it happens it's that entire area being squeezed. It scares me to death. I haven't found many people with this same symptom. I get the squeezing deep in my lower neck also, right around my collar bone. I did not realize this could be another nerve issue as well. I have had clean Mri's also. I have been told that it could be hard to see anything on an MRI if it isn't high resolution. If the slices are too thick, it's harder to see (so I've been told).

But the squeezing sensation is absolutely AWFUL!!

Bambi,

I have that too. It is much worse / deeper when I lay down - I have the left ear go off - kind of a buzzing sound and simultaneously I have the throat - either left side or deeper the whole throat, and left back jaw go off too. I may have some sort of hemi facial spasm along with everything else.

Bambi84 said:

My MAIN complaint is the squeezing in throat. It's not just one side, is yours? When it happens it's that entire area being squeezed. It scares me to death. I haven't found many people with this same symptom. I get the squeezing deep in my lower neck also, right around my collar bone. I did not realize this could be another nerve issue as well. I have had clean Mri's also. I have been told that it could be hard to see anything on an MRI if it isn't high resolution. If the slices are too thick, it's harder to see (so I've been told).

But the squeezing sensation is absolutely AWFUL!!

Yes the squeezing of the throat is awful! I swallow and breath just to make sure I still can. Most of my other symptoms are on the right side. But both the throat squeezing and the chest pressure seem to just hit head on. It's so strange to have someone talking to me at work and suddenly feel the sensation of being strangled. The Gabapentin has seemed to lessen how often it happens and its severity. Thanks for the info on the MRI. I meet with the neurologist again on April 17 so will ask her more about my MRI results and if they can tell anything more.

Thanks for the burping info - yep, get that too at times. Teenage kids are very impressed. Also some occasional crazy salivation when I see food I really want. BP is usually 98/58 which is normal. Have taken it often when the chest pressure hits but I think the pain/panic might raise it a bit to 108/68. Gabapentin can lower blood pressure so I really don't know what it all means. Have cut out caffeine & alcohol.

It would be nice to find out if there has been any pain relation to diet, lowering sugar consumption, exercise, meditation, stretching, etc. Obviously artery compression requires surgical relief. I have no idea what my GPN is the result of yet.

I really hope your surgery is successful. You sound like a very brave person!

Hi any chest pain should be checked out by your GP and monitored. Some Eagles Syndrome can have cardio implications (with an otherwise healthy heart) so please get it checked out.
All the best,
Smiley :slight_smile:

Just an update. Saw GP who is going to put me through an echocardiogram and stress test. I'm pretty convinced this is vagus nerve related - but it's another one of those "rule it out" tests. GP started asking me if this might all be anxiety related and I was so disappointed. I reminded him of neurologist report and gently reiterated that shooting jaw, tooth, ear, etc pain is generally not associated with anxiety, he kind of backed down. Have another appt with neuro in a couple weeks.

Saw new free full article on pubmed just put out in Feb 2015- really amazing compilation of GPN http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25709856. Also another new article there just out in March. Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread - but wanted to share.

Hi Flying, Really glad you're getting this checked out. The articles are great - I think it would be great for you to create a new discussion on these or add them to the useful links discussion.. All the best :)

I am another with this strangled neck and chest pressure sensation sometimes. Hemifacal, jaw, ear,throat pain 100% of the time right side. 1st time I felt my neck was in a wood vice and I thought I had a blood clot, deep abscess, or was having a stroke as it was about 2 months post op following cervical spine surgery. 3 years later I am still alive, so don't panic at the feeling anymore. Been a roller coaster of tests and medication trials. No MVD for me. My doctors says when they pulled the Carotid sheath over to get to the cervical spine, the Nerves- like wires- were "frayed" and will never heal. I try to enjoy the better days and hope for a break through treatment for all of us.

With you on that ice pick :)