Change in Diagnosis

My Neurologist changed my diagnosis at my appointment yesterday after going over my symptoms again from ATN to type 1 TN. Has this happened to anyone before?

Anna, I'd have to say yes to your question after talking with folks here on the site for a year and with other patients for over 16 years. There is a page where you can read up on the differences in symptoms between the two types of TN, starting from the Resources Page in the menu above.

Regards, Red

Thanks for the reply. I have symptoms from both categories, but I'd much rather be Type 1. I'll trust that my neurologist knows best (for now).

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

Anna, I'd have to say yes to your question after talking with folks here on the site for a year and with other patients for over 16 years. There is a page where you can read up on the differences in symptoms between the two types of TN, starting from the Resources Page in the menu above.

Regards, Red

Anna, your reply made me smile. I began with Type 1 but now think I have type 2. I kept changing my mind which I wanted it to be! My type 1 was much more painful then my type 2, but I suffer from my type 2 for much longer periods then my type 1. Of course what I dont want is to have both.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 TN Jan. of 2011 by my Neurologist. Prior to my diagnosis my dentist told me he believed it to be TN. This was back in Dec 2010. For a year + I have believed it to be TN type 1. Made an appt with my GP to discuss my medical changes since last visiting him. He told me at that time that i didn't have Type 1 TN that I had type 2 or Atypical Tn. He was very arrogant and insisted that I was miss diagnosed. Clearly I wasn't missed diagnosed because ALL of my research says it's Type 1 TN. It threw me for a loop and pushed me even more toward my research of the differences between the types of TN. Because of changes with my insurance I have to get all referrals through him. Including seeing my Neurologist! So I am frustrated and to top it off he put me back on Tegretol which I was given when I was first diagnosed. I told him I can't tolerate it and he said he would start me on a lower dose. I still have the same side effects as before. Already on 1800mg of neurontin.

Next appt is in 2 weeks and I am going into it with much information and references to share with him if his diagnosis is going to be the same. The wrong diagnosis can detrimental.

So to answer your question, yes it does happen.