Celebrex or Steroids?

Hey all!! Question:: I had a super severe attack with my family this Sat at Olive Garden! Was fine, took a bite of spaghetti that wasn’t even that hot and it set off an attack that had me screaming in pain and embarrassed as well. Seems people stare when you freak out all of a sudden! Ha! Ended up being so severe I was rushed to the hospital. They already have in my records that I have TN so since I had already taken a pain pill (dilaudid 4mg) they gave me IV of same but 2mg. Didn’t work. Gave me a steroid injection::here’s where the concern is–this made my pain WORSE…so here comes ANOTHER IV injec of 2mg Dilaudid again. Pain controlled, sent me home with a presc of STEROIDS! What on earth! Why this, does anyone know? What is it supposed to do w this condition? And lastly, my moms doctor told her to have my doctors try CELEBREX! Do ANY of these doctors make sense to anyone cuz I’m confused! Please help make sense of this for me! Please! Also, Dilaudid 4mg is the highest dosage of that narcotic…and it’s not helping as much anymore,… course, I don’t take it constntly cuz I refuse to get addicted to it so I control my dosage strictly! What would I need to take, pain wise, when diludid no longer works? The pain is bad, even above MY pain thresh-hold!!!

Tonya,
I have been on both celebrex and steroids. They were both short term though. Celebrex is my “rescue drug” meaning it only works through IV for me. That being said, I only get it when I have to go to the hospital. As for the steroids, I have been on those too when the pain has flared up for whatever reason. Just a short dose of 10 days to cut down on the inflammation.
Hope this helps.

Hi Tonya,
I’m sorry you are still in severe pain. I haven’t taken Dilaudid. I have been prescribed prednisone several times, 100 mg and decreasing over about 3 weeks. It has always worked except for my most severe and longest running attack. I tried it twice during those months along with a lot of other medication and nothing helped except the MVD. Last year in Sep I got a prescription but suffered for a couple of weeks before I finally gave in and took it and it worked. In the last couple of days, I have considered asking for a prescription. But I am better today and I hope it lasts.
Liz

Thank you Liz! I thought they were crazy! And it did make it worse but I guess, like you mentioned, it was the worst attack I have had to date and it scared the crap outta me! haha! I thought I was just “so strong” blah blah. Nope. I just had not been hit hard enough yet! I will try it, I guess. Can’t hurt, I’m sure! Thanks again hon!

Liz K. said:

Hi Tonya,
I’m sorry you are still in severe pain. I haven’t taken Dilaudid. I have been prescribed prednisone several times, 100 mg and decreasing over about 3 weeks. It has always worked except for my most severe and longest running attack. I tried it twice during those months along with a lot of other medication and nothing helped except the MVD. Last year in Sep I got a prescription but suffered for a couple of weeks before I finally gave in and took it and it worked. In the last couple of days, I have considered asking for a prescription. But I am better today and I hope it lasts.

Liz

Hey Ally! I’m gonna ask my doctor about Celebrex too and see what she thinks. I’ve never had it IV. They go straight for the Dilaudid and basically keep it coming till the pain stops. Thank goodness! As I told Liz, it can’t hurt to try the steroids. I have the prescription already so… Thank you again for your comment. I know my question was a long one so I appreciate you guys taking the time to read it! Hugs to you guys!

Liz K. said:

Hi Tonya,

Liz