Cardiac event?

Have there been any reported cardiac events occurring during or following an extremely painful TN event? Can the pain of an attack initiate a cardiac event; e.g., myocardial infarction, ventricular fibrillation leading to full arrest? Any reports?

I haven't, but are you asking because you've been having these symptoms? If you have, you know what you have to do! (go to the hospital). BTW, didn't you have your doctors appt. How did it go?

All I can offer is that I have always had perfect blood pressure, even drinking multiple pots, yes pots of coffee a day. I am 52 years old, and until I got TN it was never elevated. My blood pressure is now high, which all the doctors have attributed to the stress and pain of this disorder or hell as I like to refer to it

Wendy

Oh, yes, I would get to the ER, if I suspected a cardiac event were happening. About a month ago, immediately following a BAD TN attack, I thought about how I think the pain and my response could easily precipitate a cardiac event. I am curious if any member has reported such an occurrence.

Hey, thanks, Wendy, for your reply. I am 68 years young, and have always been in perfect health and very active, with no blood pressure problem. When I had a BAD TN event about 6 weeks ago, I thought--wow, this seems like it could really trigger a bad cardiac event! I wondered if there have been any reports of a bad episode causing a cardiac event. By the way, I have recently been drinking a lot more coffee and Diet Mountain Dew to combat drowsiness & I guess that explains your caffeine intake?
crashgirl said:

All I can offer is that I have always had perfect blood pressure, even drinking multiple pots, yes pots of coffee a day. I am 52 years old, and until I got TN it was never elevated. My blood pressure is now high, which all the doctors have attributed to the stress and pain of this disorder or hell as I like to refer to it

Wendy

One of our sweet members ~Sheila~ had a heart attack with the pain. If you contact her she can explain. She is pretty with long blonde hair.

actually I have always drank a lot of coffee, at least two pots a day. I guess I am a coffeeholic? lol...I am on the road all day for work, so I take it along with me and always get refills. I will say I have found it helps with my pain, no idea why so I am actually drinking close to 4 pots a day now. If this pain doesnt kill me the coffee will but at least that would be deserved. I have wondered as you are if there are any other diseases or symptoms that people have gotten due to this illness, you posed an interesting question

wendy

Dixie said:

Hey, thanks, Wendy, for your reply. I am 68 years young, and have always been in perfect health and very active, with no blood pressure problem. When I had a BAD TN event about 6 weeks ago, I thought--wow, this seems like it could really trigger a bad cardiac event! I wondered if there have been any reports of a bad episode causing a cardiac event. By the way, I have recently been drinking a lot more coffee and Diet Mountain Dew to combat drowsiness & I guess that explains your caffeine intake?
crashgirl said:

Wendy

I will try to find her and send her a message. I thought there would be some reports of the pain bringing on a heart attack. Thanks, Jackie, for your message.

I don't remember right now where you live, but down in south Florida, I love to drink Cuban coffee--ever had any?

crashgirl said:

actually I have always drank a lot of coffee, at least two pots a day. I guess I am a coffeeholic? lol...I am on the road all day for work, so I take it along with me and always get refills. I will say I have found it helps with my pain, no idea why so I am actually drinking close to 4 pots a day now. If this pain doesnt kill me the coffee will but at least that would be deserved. I have wondered as you are if there are any other diseases or symptoms that people have gotten due to this illness, you posed an interesting question

wendy

Dixie said:

crashgirl said:

Wendy

Here is a link to the lovely Sheila

http://www.livingwithtn.org/profile/Sheila?xg_source=profiles_memberList

I have had cuban coffee, when I was in florida, I am in Delaware. If I remember it was strong, which is what I like, I drink dark roast

Thank you so much.

Jackie said:

Yep, you remember it well--strong and thick--yummy. You need to stay alert with all your driving, for sure! Yikes, you folks have ice and snow up there, don't you? That is just another reminder of another reason I moved to the Florida Keys.

crashgirl said:

I have had cuban coffee, when I was in florida, I am in Delaware. If I remember it was strong, which is what I like, I drink dark roast

I hate the weather here, 100 degrees yesterday with humidity felt 107, snows all winter....thinking of retiring to northern cal if I could just get back to work and make some $$

Dixie said:

Yep, you remember it well--strong and thick--yummy. You need to stay alert with all your driving, for sure! Yikes, you folks have ice and snow up there, don't you? That is just another reminder of another reason I moved to the Florida Keys.

crashgirl said:

Hello Dixie, as I just mentioned to you in a message, I'll share here for others to know it's not impossible. I don't mean to scare you though. I have severe other health problems that have added to my possibilities of heart problems. My heart has stopped multiple times due to severe TN attacks, and I only found out why a few weeks ago, so now I can educate the E.R. and the doctors. When a TN attack gets particularly bad, it can affect the vagus nerve in the neck, not far from the TN in your face, and the vagus nerve controls your heart rate! It can make your heart beat so fast that it just quivers instead of beats, then stops, or so slow that it just slows down to nothing, then stops. I do use nitro spray and it helps some.

Awww thanks Jackie! You're a doll, inside and out.

Hugs, Sheila

Jackie said:

I also had minor heart attacks,when I had flare ups with TN,but I dont think these doctors know what they are talking about.I had so many test done on me for my heart,yes they find things wrong,but wont do crap to fix it,there waiting for it just to get worst.I was born with a hole in my heart,plus they think I have a leaky valve,When my tn acts up,my blood pressure goes way up and heart rate.

Hi Barb,

I've had similar problems, where they find things wrong but won't fix them. In my case, there's nothing that can fix the problems, but it seems they COULD fix the hole and valve in your case, so that's very frustrating. Maybe they are scared of the safety of the surgery's safety in your particular case. Everyone's blood pressure and heart rate get really high during pain. Those are 2 indicators to find out if a person is in pain or not. It's good to know I'm not the only person that has had heart problems through TN.

Hi Sheila,Im also dealing with strokes too.Was told a month ago,while I was in icu,that I have an extra blood vessel in my brain on my left side,they think thats what caused my tn,and also,I have blockages in my neck,59-69,but wont operate until it hits 75.im also waiting on results for a bloodclotting disorder,because of the circulation in my legs and arms,terrible color,Having seizure too.Whats going on with me,no wonder im so stressed.I even told the doctor to put me in a mental ward,and he said I dont belong there.LOL

I hope you can get some help for your problems. It seems that there must be a good hospital in Pa. where you can get a good doctor and some better management for your multiple issues. You are in my thoughts.